YTC
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

help! Dumped 2x in last month

So I'm riding an Ellsworth Epiphany with a Talas 130 up front and a stack of spacers under the bar. I have a Nevegal 2.3 in the front and the 2.1 in the back.
    Both crashes were at speed in soft pack taking very mellow turns aggressively when the front tire washed out with absolutely no warning and the next thing I know I'm in the dirt.
    Is there any advice out there for me?
    My ideas are:
    1. O.K. I admit it; both times I was sleep deprived and I'm 39 years old now.
    2. The Nevegals have no early warning when there about to wash out. (ie. Maybe you can recomend another sticky pref. ust tread that doesn't suddenly dump you).
    3. I'm not weighting my bars enough with the Talas on full extension and the stack under the bars. (ie. Maybe I should take out a few spacers so there's more weight on my front tire as I'll then have more weight forward.
    4. It's time to quit technical riding. Sorry, but the confidence level is low after those out of the blue falls.

Let me know,
    YTC

Also, this is my first time posting, so let me know if I did it in the appropriate way and appropriate forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Smile

This area is for injured riders and, thankfully, you weren't hurt.

Your questions are good, but might be better posted under the Wheels and Tires site...or maybe the Shocks site.

Double-metric mtb man
    Glad you weren't hurt YTC!

Yea, some of this is probably better suited to the Wheels and Tires or Ellsworth forums....but you have to start somewhere.

Do you mind if I ask how much you weight? I know several riders who swear by the Nev's, but say they take a lot of loading to keep 'em planted in the softer stuff.

Above all, don't give up challenging yourself and doing technical stuff. If you're going to be riding in an area where you've been tossed, it may be worth while to armor up if you've got and then work at it until you've beaten what seems to be getting you. Oh, and make sure you get some sleep....being sleep deprived and riding is almost the same as being drunk and riding: you're just as impaired (though at least with the booze you get that warm, fuzzy feeling )

Cheers
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me