Thread: Hello Staph!

mtbr member

Hello Staph!

Here is my story in a short version. I'm 38 years old on Nov. 2 went to have right knee scoped due to arthritis, clean out some loose pieces. Everything went fine. next day around noon, major pain came to the knee. 2 days later back in the hospital for another scope to clean infection out on knee. After 4 day in the hospital I was released. Then Wednesday before Thanksgiving doctor called and told me that a blood test earlier in the week showed the infection still present and going back in on Friday to open the knee up this time and clean it out. Again another 4 day stay in the hospital. Now it's Jan. 17 the infection is gone but, the knee is still swelled and I can only bend it 90 degrees. I have been taking psychical therapy for a month and the knee seems to have come to a stand still (no more progress). The knee feels tight and I believe it's the muscle that are keeping it from bending instead of the joint. So somebody else been down this road with staph? Does the infection keep the tissue around the knee irritated for a while? Is this the reason for my knee only bending 90 degree? Here are some pictures from my blog. http://grayhawkgrinders.blogspot.com...our-world.html The photos was taken after the 2nd surgery.
    Last edited by speed metal; 01-17-2008 at 05:10 PM.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jeez tough luck

One surgery sucks but three in a row? Sorry, I don't know from staph but hope you're done with going under the knife.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Stick with the physical therapy, the ultra sounds, the heat packs, ice etc. Sometimes it takes a while for these things to heal. After my right bicep tendon was reattached it took like 10+ weeks post op before I could fully extend my right arm. Progress in my opinion was surpeisingly slow compared to other injuries.
    Remember your knee has been traumatized three times now without being given a chance to heal. In addition if your knee surgery was anything like my hip surgery then that is three rides on the streching rack. When I came out of my surgery I thought they had operated on my ankle becuase it hurt so much. The doctor explained that while I was out they put me in a 'rack' to stretch out my leg so they could get into the hip joint. The doc said I had the tendons of a horse so they had to use extra force on me. The pain from the rack was worse then surgery!
    Any way my point is your knee has been traumatized repeatedly without a chance to recoperate, give it time.

mtbr member
    not good.... if you have open wounds with staph, rub tea tree oil on it.