jeb
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Heart surgery, recovery time?, biking again???

Hello

I just had heart surgery, 7 weeks ago, -through the chest, and got a new heart(aorta)valve, works good, better than previus! Yesterday, went slowly, on my fully, nothing wild, took a couple of climbs, lovely, was a little bit sore after in the chest, and muscles around.
    Anybody, have any advice here??? storys?? should i continue, or wait a couple of weeks more?? -i have heard some horror storys about, the chest not growing right together, and therefore, the poor fella, was cut open again, and sewn again!

Thanks

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    you might want to stop and ask your cardiologist and then add another couple weeks/month to whatever he/she says.

Surly OG
    Baby steps bro, Baby steps.

I spent a month riding around the neighborhood after my MI, - listening to and feeling how I felt.

Baby Steps.

I would say though, to get into positive surroundings for the spirit. For me that was the Bike in the woods, Easy flat trails at first.

Heal Well.
    Earn your turns. )'(

mtbr member
    Let's see, it's been about 4 weeks since your original post.

My younger brother had Aortic Valve surgery too. He is now part cow. His procedure was done several years back in the early part of August. I think his welcome back ride was in late October.

He was hurting of course, like anyone would who had been off the bike for an extended period of time, but he kept at it and in no time he was back to the front of the pack.

How is your progress coming along?

jps