mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Has anyone recovered from back surgery and picked up where they left off riding?

Three weeks about I felt a stabbing pain in my right buttock/hip after about half a ride. Waited a week and then went to the doctor. He ordered an MRI and I got the results a few days later.

L5-S1 has a 5mm extruded herniation, which isn't currently bothering me but has in the past.

L5-L4 has a 3mm herniation with a 1mm tear and is degenerating

L4-L3 has a 6mm extruded herniation with an additional 6mm sequestered fragment, a proken off piece of disc material, pressing on the nerve ganglion, basically giving me pain and weakness in my right leg.

My doctor told me to give it four weeks and continue on anit-inflammatories. It's been three weeks and it's feeling over all a bit better, but the stabbing buttock and leg pain is still persistent. My concern is that I'm wasting time, and that this fragment isn't going anywhere and if the swelling gets down to a point where it isn't bothering the nerve, it will once again as soon as I get back in the saddle. I'm also assuming that if surgery is the only option to get that fragment out, the surgeon is probably going to want to go ahead and clean up L3-L4 and L5-S1.

I'm three weeks into really working on core strength in anticipation that surgery will be needed and that it will help me with recovery.

I have appointments with two different extremely reputable Neurosurgeons to gain separate opinions and I'm fortunate enough to have great health insurance so I'm not too concerned about the actual surgery, if it's recommended, but I'm concerned about the recovery and my ability to get back to riding again. Has anyone gone through a microdisectomy? On multiple discs? What was the recovery like? Any advice?

Thanks

Just a flesh wound
    I blew out the disc between L4 and L5, but it resolved without surgery. My brother had the same thing happen but his did not get better. He injured it training for an Ironman, so he was fit and working hard. But the pain in his leg and buttock was really bad and physical therapy was not working. He was nervous about surgery, but he finally relented and had the micro discectomy about 6 weeks ago. He is doing great. He will be cleared for physical therapy in 2 or 3 weeks and they will go from there, but the pain he had is completely gone. The doctors expect him to have a full recovery. But you have to let everything heal completely before you get back. It will take some work, but you can get back to where you were.

Good Luck!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

glad I didn't

Studies I read indicated that waiting vs. surgery had the same outcome after two years. This part of the body will usually heal if given enough time. If the nerve isn't damaged to the point of losing motor control I would wait.

I was on the verge of surgery with L5-S1 fragment pressure and extreme++ pain. It took several months for the nerve issues to subside. Two years later and I have no pain and riding is at least as strong as prior with only residual tightness of hamstring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cheepnis View Post
    Studies I read indicated that waiting vs. surgery had the same outcome after two years. This part of the body will usually heal if given enough time. If the nerve isn't damaged to the point of losing motor control I would wait.

I was on the verge of surgery with L5-S1 fragment pressure and extreme++ pain. It took several months for the nerve issues to subside. Two years later and I have no pain and riding is at least as strong as prior with only residual tightness of hamstring.
    So four weeks and I'm 75% better. First couple of weeks were excruciating. A week after writing this post I started feeling pretty good and over did it doing some body weight squats and lunges which put me almost back to square one. Now three weeks later I'm feeling like I'm noticing an improvement every couple of days.

My doctor has recommended epidural injections to see if that will help things along. Not sure if I want to go that route because my pain is due to a fragment touching a nerve. Masking that pain seems like it would hurt me in the long run.

Did you get an epidural?