Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

handlebars to the chest

yesterday I hit a root with my front tire and it twisted the handlebars right into my chest. winded me pretty badly. I was up alot at night trying to catch my breath. it hit me in the chest right in the center. should I see a doctor about it or should I be fine. its not swollen or anything just touchy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Done that a few times and it bites. If you were having trouble breathing you should probably go. Your co pay will probably be worth it for the peace of mind. I have never broken a rib or separated my sternum, but have had friends do it. It supposedly really, really hurts. The breathing thing though is kind of weird. Get it checked out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, that happened to me about a month ago, but no symptoms like the ones you're talking about.

Go get a checkup from your doctor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Doctor

I got speared by my handlebars a few years ago and ended up in intensive care for three days, because I lacerated my liver. Your liver is on your right side just where the bottom of your ribcage ends. I wasn't going to go to the ER, but a doctor happened to be right there when I crashed and he made me go.

If it hit your ribcage, I wouldn't worry about it unless you think it is cracked. If it was just under your ribcage, there are all sorts of things that could be bleeding.

BTW, this is why I don't ride with ODI lock-ons anymore. I use rubber grips over a bar plug to cushion the blow a little.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    I got speared by my handlebars a few years ago and ended up in intensive care for three days, because I lacerated my liver. Your liver is on your right side just where the bottom of your ribcage ends. I wasn't going to go to the ER, but a doctor happened to be right there when I crashed and he made me go.

If it hit your ribcage, I wouldn't worry about it unless you think it is cracked. If it was just under your ribcage, there are all sorts of things that could be bleeding.

BTW, this is why I don't ride with ODI lock-ons anymore. I use rubber grips over a bar plug to cushion the blow a little.
    ...yesterday, I was riding the trails and I hit a root causing the handle bars to spear me right in the stomach (3-4 inchs above the belly button). WOW - lots of pain and blew the air right out of me! Now i have a little bruising and a small knot in the area. Question:
    1)should I get checked out (its just a little sore but doesnt really bother me [at least not yet]) and how do u know if ur bleeding internaly or you've been lacerated?????.
    2) Exacly which kind of grips could I use to reduce an impact like this again (im riding a FSR Stumpy with factory grips, using cages instead of clips, im a noob)????
    3) what are "ODI lock-ons"???

mtbr member
    I wrecked today like this. Bars caught a tree and I ended up doing a superman with all of my weight falling onto the end of the bar. It hit about 2 inches northeast from the base of my johnson. I hurt for about 6 hours in about a 6"-8" radius around it. Now it is just tender and sore right around it. There are no major organs than I know of in that area. I passed on the doc, but would like to know any warning signs I need to look out for. Nothing is hurting when I push all around my abdomen.

Thx
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2008 Trek 6500
    Yakima King Joe 2
    Softride Dura Rack

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shifturmind
    I wrecked today like this. Bars caught a tree and I ended up doing a superman with all of my weight falling onto the end of the bar. It hit about 2 inches northeast from the base of my johnson. I hurt for about 6 hours in about a 6"-8" radius around it. Now it is just tender and sore right around it. There are no major organs than I know of in that area. I passed on the doc, but would like to know any warning signs I need to look out for. Nothing is hurting when I push all around my abdomen.

Thx
    Everything turned out ok in my case so I cant give you any warning signs, but I did end up seeing my doc. My stomach was sore for the next following weeks so I figured it would be in my best interest. "Hematoma" the doc said. If it worries you go see a doc. better to be safe then sorry and some peace of mind helps as well. Just worrying about could possibly be worst.
    -by the way... you should check out this thread Impalement I got alot of info from the fellas!
    Last edited by TupacAmaru; 10-13-2008 at 10:20 PM.