mtbr member
    Jul 2011

hand sprain recovery

I injured my hand about 10 days ago, pretty sure its the 2nd carpometacarpal joint, (where pointer finger joins wrist) the doctor said it looks like i stretched the joint in my fall as that joint hardly has any movement. anyway, im recovering pretty quick, a bit quicker than he expected. he said it can be as long as 3 months for an injury like that to heal. then after seeing him the other day he said i might recover much faster than that but im still at risk for reinjury until about 3 months.

anyway, at this rate im guessing my hand will be back to at least feeling normal and normal use in around 2 weeks. i could maybe go a month and a half without being on a bike. i cant just not mtn bike this summer.

so anyone dealt with something like this? any hand/wrist supports you would reccomend for when or if i disobey my doctor and get back on the bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have had multiple small joint injuries from skiing, and jujitsu, and the number one recommendation I can make is take your time to let it heal.

Your hands are sensitive instruments, and unlike clean breaks which can often heal quite quickly, strain injuries that aren't allowed to heal properly can become painful chronic injuries.

For me, stretching and strength training for the wrists and fingers has worked well for prevention. Look up some basketball and/or jujitsu hand stretching and strength exercises.

good luck

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Last week I went for a ride and being so excited for the time I am about to spend on my bike, I did not check things with the bike. Turns out my son had locked both my shox. In any event, I sustained an injury to my wrist, bfrom simply falling right on top of it, but it is almost healed in about a week. I'll let it heal a little longer, but that was unexpectedly quick.
    2007 Specialized FSR Comp
    2010 Jamis Trail XC
    2012 Superlight 29