Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hand injury...Any cast ideas to get back on bike?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mike1125biking 
#1 ·
Broke 4th metacarpal, and Doc says 6 wks. minimum for fracture to heal. Looking for information regarding types of cast that you have used when returning to the bike.

#2 ·
Doc told me no bike for 12 weeks. No cast, just a hightech splint for 8 weeks.

I broke metas 2/3/4 and couldn't get on the bike... but around week 10 I did.

When I did get back on the bike, it was easy road/dirt road riding. Not my idea of a good time at all. Took up trail running to get my trail fix on durning the whole ordeal. Really helped keep my mind off the injury.

Anyhow, it wasn't until around week 16'ish that I was able to actually have fun on my bike again, i.e. big drops n' jumps. My hand was just too damn weak to hold on tight enough / still hurt quite a bit before that.

Everyone is different in recovery... then again, you've got 1 meta down, I had 3.

Physical therapy is key.

Hope you have a quick recovery man!

#3 ·
Do you want to risk rebreaking??? If you're looking to just do some low speed cruising, I'd say ask for an occupational therapy appt to see if they have any suggestions. 4th MC is going to be hard to splint/cast w/o having the whole hand included though.

#5 ·
Thanks so much for the responses!

You sound like a knowledgeable PA???! :thumbsup: I've heard of a rugby player, that my Doc treated, returning with a special cast, but they don't have to grip w/ the fingers like is req'd in mtb. Maybe it's just not feasible for us.

Ride your trainer. Don't be in such a hurry to get back on the dirt.
Have you ever spent two hours on a trainer/stationary bike? Arrgh, that is shear torture! :madman:
That said, you're right, I am in a hurry and I'm also still in denial. :cryin:

#6 ·
Have you ever spent two hours on a trainer/stationary bike? Arrgh, that is shear torture! :madman:
That said, you're right, I am in a hurry and I'm also still in denial. :cryin:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, many times when I realized that was all I could do when I had my own cast on my right wrist. Once I got in the habit of it (a good training DVD on the box helped out) I have continued doing it. Maybe only an hour now when I can't get out but it's really not shear torture at all, its therapy. Try it without going into it thinking you're going to hate it.

An hour on the trainer is equal to much longer than that on the trail because there is no stopping and coasting on a trainer. :D

#8 ·
not riding sucks worse than trainers do

My doc finally had enough and after my last broken thumb he instructed the cast nurse to make it impossible for me to ride. She apllied the God awfulist cast I had ever seen. Trainer and hiking for the next six weeks, (achiles tendon doesn't allow running) Any time on two wheels is better than any other time:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.