mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Hamstring Tendon Tears and Calcaneous Contusion

Crashed pretty bad racing my first UCI World Cup at Windham Mountain what was it, 13 days now? Due to travel home and the 4th of July holiday only just got results from my MRI's yesterday.

Not good news.

Complete full-thickness tears of all 3 hamstring tendons from the ischium (by the hip pelvis). Likely requires surgery, and 6-12 months recovery/off the bike.

No heel fracture, but the contusion is bad enough pain/recovery wise (3 months) that it may as well be fractured. Doc said, "At what point does dark grey become black?".

As someone who was hoping to race nationally in the Pro XCT at a high level next year, and another World Cup or 2, definitely bumming on this.

Surgical consult tomorrow on the hamstring tears.

mtbr member
    That must have been one heck of a crash- hamstring avulsions aren't a very common injury. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    That must have been one heck of a crash- hamstring avulsions aren't a very common injury. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
    Thanks.

Yeah, ortho surgeon said the same today when I was able to get in to see him. Since it's been 2 weeks he was fairly adamant about surgery next week. Scheduled today at 4pm for Monday at 9 am.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ouch, Get well soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not quite back to riding yet, but I did do two rides this past weekend.

So awesome

Climbing is so painful!