mtbr member
    Dec 2013

hamstring feels sore all the time

For some unknown reason my right hamstring muscle feels really stiff and kind of sore, like I canít stretch it all the way or canít get it to relax or something. Itís been this way for several weeks now. There has been no injury that I know of. It just kind of started out of the blue. I keep trying to stretch it after rides when the muscle is warmed up but it doesnít seem to help. Anyone got any insight? Itís possible I am trying to stretch it too much and have irritated it in some way but then what is my solution?

I am right handed so it's my dominant leg....not sure if that matters but I thought it might be relevant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have found rolling out my legs with a foam roller or using a "stick" works way better than stretching alone. Stretching never gets that sore spot. Massages are also beneficial. You might have a trapped nerve.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Try stretching out your lower back and glutes as well. Also the hip flexors...Any of these areas can stiffen up and cause the muscles in the other areas including the hamstrings to tighten. I have an old hip injury that wreaks havoc on all of these areas if i don't stay on top of the stretching.
    Massage is always a good thing and I know ice sounds counter intuitive for loosening a muscle but if there is any inflammation (and there is especially after riding) it will keep it at bay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. I love "the stick". That thing is awesome. I have noticed it seems to be getting better the less I try to stretch it out.When I go back to trying to stretch it, it gets sore again.

mtbr member
    I second the foam roller recommendation. It's pretty much the only thing keeping my legs from getting repetitive stress injury 3+ months into the season.

I've had limited success with 'the stick' because it's hard to get a high and constant force on my leg muscles with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I like the stick for my quads and my calf muscles. I have a really hard time using it on my hamstrings though just because it's hard to reach back there and use the stick while still keep the muscles from engaging and tightening up so I will try the foam roller more. I think it might work better.

human dehumidifier
    I hope you got the hammy worked out.

I was having thigh cramps (old, and taking statins), caught one on the way over a log, and messed my hamstring up. Heard it pop as I was taking the tumble, and now it's purple knee to ass, side to side. It didn't seem to respond well to being cramped to a stop with 220 lbs standing on it and telling it to go.

A week later and I still can't put my socks on normally, and have been washing/drying my feet with my feet. I can't bend over. I threw the statins away once I got home, searched, and saw they are a likely cause. I can change my diet but I can't take too many more episodes like this

I'm only in this forum to look for recovery tips, but saw this thread and thought it was worth mentioning. You can mess your hamstring up in ways you'd never imagine, so take care of them if they start trying to tell you something's wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That sounds gnarly....hope you get that worked out soon. Mine is doing much better. I stopped trying to stretch it so hard (I think I was trying to force it) and started using the roller and stick after every ride even if it wasn't feeling sore and it's helping I think. It's not 100% yet but probably 80-90% and getting better.