mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Had my first good wreck.

Well I'm still a n00b to this hobby but I had my first good wreck the other day. I was riding and somehow seriously screwed up with the front brake on a root and went over the bars pretty hard. I tried to put my leg over the bar and land on my feet but that didn't work and I ended up on the top of my foot rather then the bottom. When I did my leg calapsed starting at the ankle and the knee. I mainly felt like I pulled or ripped the ligiments in my knee. I couldn't move it for a good 5 mins and was in terrible pain. Even after that it felt shaky. Think I tore anything? I hate doctors. As long as i can walk I'm not going.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    OUCH! Congrats on your first good fall though I'm in the same boat as you with the doctors. I just ate it too (see the "Finally Christened the Roadie" thread) and probably should have stitches, tetnus update, and antibiotics....but nope.... This may be a "do as I say not as I do" moment though If it gets worse or isn't getting better in a few days do go have it looked at...not that I would *halo*.

flying fatass
    ouch....

my first (and so far only....and yeah, i know the phrase "if you arent crashing you aretn trying hard enough"...but my cheap bike usually breaks before i can get that far) crash on the trails, i went OTB after hitting a rock going slow on a small step down...back wheel was still on the top of the step down, so i already had a bit too much forward CoG....luckily i landed in a patch of grass and twigs and stuff like that....but now im looking around for some cheap knee/shin pads....
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Should your balls sit in front of the saddle or on the saddle? Im a bit confused.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Konarider22
    Well I'm still a n00b to this hobby but I had my first good wreck the other day. I was riding and somehow seriously screwed up with the front brake on a root and went over the bars pretty hard. I tried to put my leg over the bar and land on my feet but that didn't work and I ended up on the top of my foot rather then the bottom. When I did my leg calapsed starting at the ankle and the knee. I mainly felt like I pulled or ripped the ligiments in my knee. I couldn't move it for a good 5 mins and was in terrible pain. Even after that it felt shaky. Think I tore anything? I hate doctors. As long as i can walk I'm not going.
    If you like having your leg (and I bet you do ), get an MRI and have the doctor tell you.

I don't like doctors either, but if I didn't get surgery, I wouldn't have a working hand after fracturing my wrist.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Yeah if I hadn't had surgery I'd have lost my leg. Me and doctors are cool as far as I'm concerned.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm walking fine today. Little pain but not much. If it feels better tommarow I'm not gonna worry about it. If I had medical insurance I'd probably go get it looked at.