Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Had knee pain, then refitted, now new knee pain somewhere else!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Maadjurguer 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I initially had knee pain on the outer left side of my left knee. I then did some research and concluded that it was my IT band. So I then had my cleats adjusted and raised my seat and put the seat rearward, then now the top, center part of my left knee hurts.

I just bought a knee brace and I am going to try it out tomorrow morning, but I am just curious on what other adjustments I would need to do to make it ok or minimize the pain?

I have tried several stretches, but I don't think they are helping the top part of my knee. Any suggestions on certain stretches or adjustments I should do to the bike? Any info would be appreciated.

Julian

#4 ·
AMEXPERT said:
Hey guys,

I initially had knee pain on the outer left side of my left knee. I then did some research and concluded that it was my IT band. So I then had my cleats adjusted and raised my seat and put the seat rearward, then now the top, center part of my left knee hurts.

I just bought a knee brace and I am going to try it out tomorrow morning, but I am just curious on what other adjustments I would need to do to make it ok or minimize the pain?

I have tried several stretches, but I don't think they are helping the top part of my knee. Any suggestions on certain stretches or adjustments I should do to the bike? Any info would be appreciated.

Julian
Hi Julian

I have just had the same experience. Did a 106 km mtb race, had no issues with my knees. A month later did a 57km mtb race. 22km into the race my left knee was so sore that I hardly could peddle. Limped across the finish line.
During the race also adjusted my seat up and down, to no effect.
After the race did some reserach. It is the way your foot is angled on the pedal. Comparing my left foot to my right foot while on the bike riding on an indoor trainer, I found that due to worn left cleat, my left foot was angled inwards, more than the right foot. Enough that over time, the knee joint gets inflamed. New set of cleats and all is great. Foot straight with not to much sideways play.

#5 ·
I have/had chronic IT band issues in both knees. I tried different positions of seat, angels on the cleat, etc. I was using SPD's at the time and was able to get it down to a manageable level of pain....but was still prevented from doing two big days in a row. Then I switched to Time ATAC's because I had heard that they're great for knees.......they are....drop what you're doing and buy some. I have not had IT pain since the last time I rode on SPD's.......I continue to do stretches and use the foam roller....but the dramatic difference between nagging pain, but manageable on SPD's to literally, no pain in the last month since using the ATAC's can not be ignored. If you're unable to buy new pedals now....save up for them soonest....but in the mean time, set up your cleats so that you angle your heels in and your toes out on the pedals. That should get you to the finish line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.