Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bikexor

GRUESOME Leg Wound

I was riding at The Rock trail in Gainesville, FL. Theres a ramp/bridge over a fallen tree there. It's about 6' high at the peak. On the second try I went over off the top. The bike hung up and as I fell past it head first towards the ground the outside of my pedal caught below my knee and filleted a huge chunk of skin. My buddy was there with first aid; just gauze and tape but I couldn't have made it without it. We ditched the bikes and had to walk 20 min back to the car. 42 stitches total.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2009
    holy ****!!! what kind of shin fillet-knife pedals are you running?!?!

Austin, Texas
    Jul 2007
    Holy hell! I woulda gone into shock over seeing that. Dang.

bikexor
    Shimano halfies. Spd/Cages

Definitely brutal. The first thing I yelled when I saw it was "HOSPITAL! HOSPITAL!"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    wow that is quite an injury. def shock worthy lol. glad your leg is cool and your friend had his first aid.

Edibles
    They did a good job cleaning you up better you better hope that skin don't sluff off
    My oem parts 14 screws 3 plates and two hip replacement.I hope that's enough upgrades.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    farrout! thats nasty!!
    third pic really shows how far it went!!
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

bikexor
    yeah, they cleaned the hell out of it. they used some pre-soaped sponge/nylon scrub brush. I guess since it was so deep it basically took all the vascular tissue with it in the flap. this is apparently a good thing as the flap will continue to get blood flow. its starting to bruise pretty bad today.

you can see the bone in the third one.

mtbr member
    Yikes
    :wq

MarkyMark
    DUDE!! Uggggh! My stomach is turning right now.

Did your leg getting ripped save you from landing on your head?

Quote Originally Posted by derockus
    I was riding at The Rock trail in Gainesville, FL. Theres a ramp/bridge over a fallen tree there. It's about 6' high at the peak. On the second try I went over off the top. The bike hung up and as I fell past it head first towards the ground the outside of my pedal caught below my knee and filleted a huge chunk of skin. My buddy was there with first aid; just gauze and tape but I couldn't have made it without it. We ditched the bikes and had to walk 20 min back to the car. 42 stitches total.

Me hates pinchflat
    JESUS! I cant imagine how painful the cleaning with the brush might have been.. i get shivers just thinking about it haha
    What did the doctors say when you turned your stitching session into a photoshoot?? haha
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

AZ
    banned
    Definatly some quality carnage , ever think about some armor?

guru meditation
    Damn buddy! Hope you heal up alright!

I'd rather be riding!
    Jeez, those pedals would have to go to the metal recycle bin and I would be buying some ATACS, Egg beaters or ANYTHING with smooth surfaces!

Good luck with the healing.

Singletrack Slayer
    Holy freaking sheisse@!!!$@## That is nasty!!! I have to say you take the gold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have the same pedals on my errand bike. Always thought that serrated edge could do some nasty damage given the opportunity. I don't think I'll ever put them on my mtn bike now.

Doc cleaned you up real good. Heal well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Ummm....well.....just throw some dirt on it....

Daaaaaaaaaamn.

I can't believe that it was only 42.....looks like an easy hundo to me....doc must have been in 'saving' the sutures mode.

Heal well.

bikexor
    Thanks for the support, dudes.

It's day 9 and I'm still on farking crutches. Healing is going slooowly. I went and saw a wound care surgeon yesterday because there is some seriously bad bruising and a small black spot developing in the top half. He said that it could be necrotic but he would have to wait and see how it looks at the end of the week. If it is necrotic he's going to have to cut it out and do a skin graft. F.

But, theres no infection, and no fluid building up underneath between the flap and bone; which is good news. He said just keep on caring for it like we have been and hopefully I won't lose too much skin.

I ride my road bike a lot also and spent all last week on the couch watching the tour. I just wanna get back on any bike! I never figured I'd even be on crutches this long.

MarkMass - No, I still landed on my head.

AZMTNS - My sixsixone shin/knee guards already arrived in the mail!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    daaammmnnnn... thats going to leave an epic scar!

Hope it heals quickly- crutches suck. I was on them for 10 weeks last year with a broken foot- but it wasnt nearly as badass as your injury.

Take it easy, man

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That is nice. You will treasure it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    this wouldnt have happened if you shaved your legs

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i fowarded this to my sister , title : awesome leg
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    I wish i never clicked on this tread. I am getting light headed as we speak. you might see me post up pictures of my head injury i get when i try to get up and pass out. I am such a pu$$y when it comes to this stuff.

bikexor
    UPDATE UPDATE

So I've been going to a Wound Care Surgeon since my regualr doctor I think is a little intimidated but how bad this wound is. I went last Friday to get the stiches removed and it only took one glance for him to say "OK, we need to get you into surgery next week." FOCK.

So this Thursday he will be "debriding" my wound; which means cutting all the dead skin off. In that picture above with all the red area, all that is now purple/black/disgusting and needs to come off. The mystery is what's underneath. He said if there is new, live skin underneath than it won't be too terrible and healing can continue on its own. If he finds some new skin, some dead/gone skin he will have to do a skin graft. The worst case is that there is NO live skin underneath, just bone, muscle, and tendon. If this happens I have to have a "Wound V.A.C." installed for "Negative Pressure Wound Therapy". It is essentially a medical sponge and dressing they apply to the wound. The vacuum pressure stimulates skin cells to grow from the edges faster. They use it for bed sores frequently. He said that depending on the size and severity I might have to lug this 3+lb vacuum apparatus around for a month. This is not at all unlikely and the stupid vacuum has already been ordered.

Boners.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member

Does this seem familiar......

After reading your crash description I found a video I took of my buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_1HyyDWgx0

Now you can relive your fall over and over through the eyes of another.....with slightly less blood.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast