Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    MarkyMark
    Thanks for keeping us up to date for the past 2 months! We all want to see riders that get hurt heal-up and get back on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by derockus
    I took this picture to show how HUGE the scar is on my leg. It still looks knarly but it feels so much better. My range of motion is back to 100%. I can finally strech my quads again, which is such a relief. I definitely lost a lot of strength and flexibility though. If I squat down like I'm pooping in a hole I can really feel that my knee is weaker. It'll come back though. The good news I can ride my bike again! I haven't hit any single track yet but I've been pounding the pavement on the road bike the last few days. Haha, I rode in the pouring rain the other day and I realized I'd rather be riding in full on conditions than spend one more fuc*ing day on the couch.
    Yep, I know what that's like. I hurt my shoulder and I couldn't stay off my bike for more than 1.5 weeks. My shoulder was still jacked, but I needed to ride and could so I did.

I'm pretty sure my girlfriend wanted to rip my head off at least a dozen times. She said it best talking with her sister, "You try to keep Michael [her husband] inside for a two months and see how he acts!" I was a caged animal!
    It's interesting the stuff you learn on here!

I looked around and it turns out there are a lot of reports/studys comparing VAC therapy and Low Intensity Laser Therapy.

mtbr member
    Man that's some wound! I read about half the thread and had to look at something else for a bit because I got a little light headed. Never thought those pedals would fillet skin out like that. Next time I need to clean a Catfish, I'll dig up some old pedals... lol. So have you got some new pedals and shin guards yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

You are not alone in thinking I am looney

UPDATE - DAY 60

I took this picture to show how HUGE the scar is on my leg. It still looks knarly but it feels so much better. My range of motion is back to 100%. I can finally strech my quads again, which is such a relief. I definitely lost a lot of strength and flexibility though. If I squat down like I'm pooping in a hole I can really feel that my knee is weaker. It'll come back though. The good news I can ride my bike again! I haven't hit any single track yet but I've been pounding the pavement on the road bike the last few days. Haha, I rode in the pouring rain the other day and I realized I'd rather be riding in full on conditions than spend one more fuc*ing day on the couch. I have to move further down in southwest FL next week (job transfer) so I'm struggling to find time to get on the trails in the next few weeks. If anyone wants to ride in the Ft. Myers area around mid-October let me know. I'm not sure there're many good trails there (Alva?) but maybe we could get over to Markham. I haven't done much riding south of Alafia.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed this thread! I never used to troll the "rider down" board... thought it would be a jinx. But now I gotta at least sympathize with everyone. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend wanted to rip my head off at least a dozen times. She said it best talking with her sister, "You try to keep Michael [her husband] inside for a two months and see how he acts!" I was a caged animal!

Lokiboy8 - When I first read your post I thought you were nuts. I looked around and it turns out there are a lot of reports/studys comparing VAC therapy and Low Intensity Laser Therapy. I'd never heard of it, but I'm going to ask the Dr. about it next time I see him. I'm sure it's too late now, but if there's ever a next time. Also, do you have a laser at home that you zap yourself with??
    MOST people probably think that I am 'bat-s#ht crazy" at some level....

Like the nurse who repaired my left shin w/ 17 stitches after it got fileted (similar wound!) by my computer mount after I clipped my bar on a rock at 22 mph.
    I told her I'd be back in 3-4 days to get them out. She said, "Yeah, r.iiiiiii..ght..."
    4 days later she had that "Why are you wasting my time..." look on her face -- until she uncovered the wound. Her jaw gaped open, and she said,"What was that laser thing you were talking about, again?"
    Enough war stories about me -- the point here is you and healing -- as fast as possible so that you can avoid what you have gone through with necrosis, etc.

Wonderful to hear that you are back on the saddle! Yes!

I spent 5 1/2 months on crutches in '92 from a tibia plateau fracture, so I can relate BIG time.

The best laser that I have used is a big 'scanning' version that is on a stand. You can do big areas with it -- they run about 10 grand.
    Some smaller portable units are in the 2-6000 range, I believe.
    So, no -- despite my saying for YEARS that I want buy one -- I haven't yet.
    But I have a $6000+ carbon fiber Titus, of course.....!

Now, here's an interesting point -- The FDA has not approved them for medical use. That is why you see the latenite info-mercials selling "red-lights". Not the same thing. REAL LASERS are not 19.95 w/ shipping/handling and taxes extra.
    I have a friend that is a DC and his uncle, Alvin Stjernholm, was instrumental in developing and pioneering their use during the late '80's and early 90's.
    Lee does not charge any of his patients that need to use his lasers -- if someone just wants to come in and laser -- he is fine with that, as long as they wait their turn, if there is a paying client that needs to use it, of course.
    Lee gets around the FDA by saying, "lets just shine this light on your_______ and see if it feels better."
    Just one of the things he has done with it is getting epileptics off of their meds and getting their Driver's Licenses back!!

At full power, some people(me) can feel a slight tingling on the skin.
    The best efficacy has been shown to occur by icing before and after, due to the incremental heating in the tissue due to increased mitochrondrial output. This creates a "pumping effect, not unlike using heat and ice every other hour for deep tissue bruising and soreness.

Effects from the laser are analgesic, anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic.

Just start looking around in your area for a Naturopath, DC, physio-therapist, Rehab Clinic, etc., that has these things. There might be some allopathic docs that do, but they are the rarity, I'm afraid.

Because the question is not IF you will be injured again -- the question is WHEN.
    Risk. Life. Adventure.
    That's what happens when you get up out of bed or up off the couch and head out the door ---

Like my friend, Anthony Sloan used to say -

"Always ride......."

Happy Trails!

Marc

Sign Killa
    I'm really glad to hear you've healed up well. Thanks for all the updates!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ouch man that was a bad one. Just seen this but it is good you are well on the mend and it looks so much better. This reinforces my always wearing shin/knee armour when I am out on the trails. Lord knows they have enough gouges on them.

Note to self to hide this thread from the wife

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lucero
    It is true - shaving your legs will turn them into calves of iron. No pedal will pierce them.
    You sir, have made my night. Good one!
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Get Some Leaves!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    man...glad you are healing up.......and you know what, this could have happened to any one of us.......My worst one was once I endoed a high-speed, the bike went up in the air and landed right on top of my head.....thank goodness for helmets!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Your leg = me wanting to vomit...

I'm new to MTB'ing...and now going to the closest LBS to get some shin/knee guards
    before I go ride another trail.
    Last edited by BruceB83; 09-28-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Six months ago I would have avoided this thread like the plague. Unfortunately three months ago I shattered my heel wakeboarding and nothing seems as gross anymore.
    I can really relate to you being on the crutches and wanting to ride. I just got back on two weeks ago. I'm glad I couldn't see my injury other than some real cool colored skin.

Anywho, great spirit and attitude! I think a tattoo integrating the scar would be the ticket, after the tenderness goes away of course.

bikexor
    UPDATE - DAY 75

Check it out, my skin is smoothing out finally. The waffle pattern is starting to disappear as well. While the wound isn't 100% totally healed and sealed I'm back to 100% health as far as I'm concerned. No more restrictions on swimming, biking, whatever. I think it's gonna take at least 6 months to a year for the scar to really set and harden up. The graft is really sensitive to sunlight, though. I usually cover it up when I'm at the beach or out fishing. I also went a rode hard on the trails for the first time! The shinguards fit fine and didn't cause any discomfort. I admit I was a little mellow at first but I got back into it quick enough. SHRED OR DIE.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Little Shred Riding Hood

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    this wouldnt have happened if you shaved your legs
    Side note: Trimming/shaving leg hair makes it WAAAAAY easier to pull out cactus needles.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    whats it look like now?? haha, it's shaped like an "A"

mtbr member
    Adulterer!

Frt Range, CO
    I can't look, love my SPDs....

Humpmaster general
    [QUOTE=derockus]UPDATE UPDATE - DAY 43

Are you wearing pink underwear?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    so are you switching to eggbeaters?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

bikexor
    FINALLY someone notices!
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris

No, the legbeaters are working fine

bikexor
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    I'm not sure yet... I am sure that I'm done with SPD for mtb. Too hard to clip in and out of, for road they're fine though. Lately I've just been riding on platforms. I like being able to put my foot down quickly without having to sprain my ankle to unclip. Maybe eggies are much easier? They just seem so small and if you have to clip out and then in quickly I feel like I'm just gonna miss the clip. Doesn't it feel like you're standing on a marble?
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just installed the Shimano SH-56 Multi-Release and I can't believe the difference. I wiped out on a water crossing the other day, and it happened so quickly I couldn't think about getting out, it just happened. I use the Forte Campus pedal that is like your Shimano's, but I think I going to change to the 520's based on your incident and what a pain it can be trying to flip the pedal around to clipin.

By the way, I was off my clipless for about 4 weeks after a nasty crash I had... nothing like yours, but I beat myself up pretty good. I'm excited about the clipless again! I'd say you'd do better with the clipless and shinguards. Either way, I'm glad you back on the bikes.

Extra Crispy
    I'm not sure yet... I am sure that I'm done with SPD for mtb. Too hard to clip in and out of, for road they're fine though. Lately I've just been riding on platforms. I like being able to put my foot down quickly without having to sprain my ankle to unclip. Maybe eggies are much easier? They just seem so small and if you have to clip out and then in quickly I feel like I'm just gonna miss the clip. Doesn't it feel like you're standing on a marble?
    I have the Crank Brothers Candy pedals and no, it doesn't feel like you're standing on marbles, at least to me it doesn't. Mine have a little "platform" for you to "stand" on if you miss clipping in at a crucial point in the ride. To me, they appear to be easier to clip in to... with the Shimano spids, it looks like you have to snipe the leading edge of the cleat into the pedal or it's a complete miss and you won't clip in. With the Candy pedals and the Crank Brothers cleats, you can put the edge of your toe on the back edge of the pedal, and slide your foot towards the front of the pedal (keeping the sole of your shoe parallel to the ground) and you'll clip in 100% of the time. You can also do it in reverse - put the arch of your foot on the front of the pedal, and slide your foot back, and it'll clip you in as well.

Back to the marble thing - as long as the sole of your shoe is somewhat stiff, it disperses the pressure of the pedal over all of the balls of your foot and some of the arch, so on the down stroke it doesn't feel any different than a platform, to me at least. Starting out biking this summer, I went right to spids, but I've had a couple parking lot rides on bike shop bikes testing them out when my friend was shopping, and it feels similar.

For what it's worth, I'm getting some platforms for the winter because clipless and Rays MTB park don't mix, me thinks. Being able to instantly put a foot down is an attractive quality the platforms have over clipless, but for longer XC rides (what I usually do), clipless all the time.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    my coworker looked over when I was looking at the photos.... see almost puked.

bikexor
    i agree, if you miss getting the nose of the cleat into the clip on spd, you're gonna have problems... then you end up having to look down and your feet to see if you're even on the right side of the pedal, very distracting and not helpful for mtb.

yeah, it seems like everyone is happy with all the crank bros pedals. i'd like to give them a shot first before dropping $100 on something i may never use. i've been keeping a look out on craiglist to see if anything comes up. the cb mallets interest me because of their large, platform base.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

bikexor
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfthntr
    my coworker looked over when I was looking at the photos.... see almost puked.
    Good to hear!
    Little Shred Riding Hood

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast