Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bikexor
    UPDATE UPDATE - DAY 43

So last Wednesday I went in for surgery #2. The doctor removed a piece of skin from my pale upper thigh to use for my skin graft. I was unconcious for the surgery but holy hell beast did it hurt the next several days. The removal site was heinously painful. Every 10-15 min I could feel this wave of pain and my thigh would LIGHT UP. It felt like someone was putting 4 cigars out on my leg... it was bad.

The graft site was sealed under the sponge and wound VAC combo so I didn't really get to see it. It felt like some punched my in the hole about a dozen times... probably from the staples.

So yesterday I got my first look at... GROSS. It kind of smelled bad too. The cubed-steak appearance is from the "mesher" that they run the skin through to increase pliability and surface area. Anyhow, the doctor was pleased with how it is coming along. He removed most of the staples and I'm FINALLY done with the VAC. That damn VAC was a pain in my ass.

I tried to sit on my bike just to see if I had enough mobility to get complete a pedal rotation... it still puts too much tension on the hole. I think it'll be at least a week before I can even use a bike and 2-3 more to actually ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Little Shred Riding Hood

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by derockus
    UPDATE UPDATE - DAY 43

So last Wednesday I went in for surgery #2. The doctor removed a piece of skin from my pale upper thigh to use for my skin graft. I was unconcious for the surgery but holy hell beast did it hurt the next several days. The removal site was heinously painful. Every 10-15 min I could feel this wave of pain and my thigh would LIGHT UP. It felt like someone was putting 4 cigars out on my leg... it was bad.

The graft site was sealed under the sponge and wound VAC combo so I didn't really get to see it. It felt like some punched my in the hole about a dozen times... probably from the staples.

So yesterday I got my first look at... GROSS. It kind of smelled bad too. The cubed-steak appearance is from the "mesher" that they run the skin through to increase pliability and surface area. Anyhow, the doctor was pleased with how it is coming along. He removed most of the staples and I'm FINALLY done with the VAC. That damn VAC was a pain in my ass.

I tried to sit on my bike just to see if I had enough mobility to get complete a pedal rotation... it still puts too much tension on the hole. I think it'll be at least a week before I can even use a bike and 2-3 more to actually ride.
    43 days and it still looks gross
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

My other ride is your mom
    43 days later and my shins still get the heebe-jeebies looking at this post....however this is up there with the best of'em.....informative and dang relevant

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    now buying shin guards and shaving legs

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It is true - shaving your legs will turn them into calves of iron. No pedal will pierce them.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    UPDATE UPDATE ... I might have to lug this 3+lb vacuum apparatus around for a month.
    Boners.
    See if they can get one that will fit in a water bottle cage!

Just Ride.
    Omg. I can't imagine the pain you would have been going through. ****

mtbr member
    Phew, God, arghhh
    Mate. What can I say
    Upside - chicks dig scars

help with the zip please
    C'mon Mr Bloot,
    it's time you shared with the world what you can do with a brake lever. Did someone say nutcracker?

Derockus, full credit to you mate, you sure don't do things by halves. Your attitude is inspirational, testing out riding position how many days after the last op?

bikexor
    UPDATE DAY 53

This is what a skin graft looks like 13 days after surgery. Oh man does it feel so much better. It'll begin to ache after a whole busy day, but otherwise no worries. Kicked the narco habit I was working on last week so I'm pretty pain-free. I even been riding my bike around the block; no hammering but I've got to start getting limber again!
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ^^That's gonna leave a scar!

MarkyMark
    Nice! Glad to hear that you're riding your bike as well.

UPDATE DAY 53

This is what a skin graft looks like 13 days after surgery. Oh man does it feel so much better. It'll begin to ache after a whole busy day, but otherwise no worries. Kicked the narco habit I was working on last week so I'm pretty pain-free. I even been riding my bike around the block; no hammering but I've got to start getting limber again!

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    thats gonna look so effing gnarly when its fully healed
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    this wouldnt have happened if you shaved your legs
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Marcia

mtbr member
    Rock Park in FL...they have rocks in FL ?

Man, glad you are healing up that is insane!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

For future reference

UPDATE DAY 53

I am sorry for giving you this advice AFTER the fact --

But, if you or anyone you know has something similar happen in the future,
    PLEASE find a physio/ Chiro/ ND -- SOMEone that a 'cold' or 'soft' laser.

I have seen the study on a woman that had an arm that was engulfed w/flesh-eating bacteria. All courses of anti-biotics had failed and her surgeon was ready to take her arm to save her life. A few days of treatment and she was okay.

I have used them several times over the past 17 years, just recently to heal some severely bruised ribs -- I fell 10 feet onto my handlebar -- and I was riding 5 days later, after 3 days of treatment. After the first day of treatment, (6 'shots' of 10 minutes, preceded and followed by 10 minutes of ice -- hourly), the stabbing pain when I took a deep breath was gone.
    My therapist estimates 1200 -1300 pounds of force hit my rib and a normal 3 week recovery time...

They were developed originally in the Netherlands for dental use -- they operate on the same wavelength as the mitochondria in the cell and dump in 7x the energy the cell needs to function, kicking up mitochrondrial functions across the board.
    The cells first order is to function -- if it is damaged or under stress, it must get extra energy, somehow, from somewhere.

Here in Denver, the Broncos and Avalanche employ them, for example.
    Too bad your docs did not know about them -- you could have avoided this whole debacle.

2 years ago, I crashed into a downed tree and landed on my right knee, with my Carbon Racer-X crushing into my patella -- it became a razor knife that cut all the way down to the patella -- I had a big flap of skin hanging down when I got up -- looked similar to what you had. I had a doc that took 3 1/2 hours sewing me up - 3 layers of stiches.
    I lasered the heck out of it and had the stitches out in 5 days(!). I was riding, easy, in 10 days.
    If that frame had hit my thigh, though, I doubt that I'd be typing this.

Here's to a speedy and full recovery, regardless.

Happy Trails!

Blessings, Marc

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    holy shizzaa! To anyone who thinks knee pads are not needed- i'll direct them to this thread

Good to see that you are on the mend bro. Ride on!

mtbr member
    OK, I wish I had a picture but I did about that same thing on the side of my calf in about 1992. It was someone else's chainring that did it and in went in the other direction, from bottom up. Basically a low-speed pileup in a large charity ride (5 Borough Bike Tour). I still had both legs around the top tube and I stood up to look at my taco'ed rear wheel and thought "Damn, I can't finish the ride on that wheel." Then I looked at my leg and almost fell over. The thing that got me was it WASN'T really bleeding, but I could see all the different layers of stuff down to the bone. Anyway, 8 hours in the ER and they didn't have to graft anything. They left the would partially open so it would not lock anything nasty inside. So, basically it was oozing and bleeding for weeks.

Here's my best memory: I was in the ER in Brooklyn, and the doctor comes in, scratches his chin and says "Hmmm, this is complicated," then leaves. He brings back another doctor and they both look at it and whisper to each other, then they both leave. Finally, they come back with a third doctor, who is a cardiac surgeon, and he is the one who ends up doing the stitches.

BEST LUCK TO YOU AND HAPPY HEALING.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow dude... I am buying knee/shin guards ASAP... thank you do much for the post. Thank the lord for crank bros pedals... the "child proof" pedal for us beginners

mtbr member
    Impressive! That is a battle wound to talk about!

mtbr member
    Been lurking this fascinating thread. Gross and irresistible at the same time. Thanks for sharing and good to see you're better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thats one of those injuries that probably hurts more after seeing it

bikexor
    UPDATE - DAY 60

I took this picture to show how HUGE the scar is on my leg. It still looks knarly but it feels so much better. My range of motion is back to 100%. I can finally strech my quads again, which is such a relief. I definitely lost a lot of strength and flexibility though. If I squat down like I'm pooping in a hole I can really feel that my knee is weaker. It'll come back though. The good news I can ride my bike again! I haven't hit any single track yet but I've been pounding the pavement on the road bike the last few days. Haha, I rode in the pouring rain the other day and I realized I'd rather be riding in full on conditions than spend one more fuc*ing day on the couch. I have to move further down in southwest FL next week (job transfer) so I'm struggling to find time to get on the trails in the next few weeks. If anyone wants to ride in the Ft. Myers area around mid-October let me know. I'm not sure there're many good trails there (Alva?) but maybe we could get over to Markham. I haven't done much riding south of Alafia.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed this thread! I never used to troll the "rider down" board... thought it would be a jinx. But now I gotta at least sympathize with everyone. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend wanted to rip my head off at least a dozen times. She said it best talking with her sister, "You try to keep Michael [her husband] inside for a two months and see how he acts!" I was a caged animal!

Lokiboy8 - When I first read your post I thought you were nuts. I looked around and it turns out there are a lot of reports/studys comparing VAC therapy and Low Intensity Laser Therapy. I'd never heard of it, but I'm going to ask the Dr. about it next time I see him. I'm sure it's too late now, but if there's ever a next time. Also, do you have a laser at home that you zap yourself with??
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Glad to see you've come along well... 60 days, man that's a lot to go through. Then you get transferred and have to deal with moving. Hope it all goes well.

mtbr member
    UPDATE - DAY 60

I took this picture to show how HUGE the scar is on my leg. It still looks knarly but it feels so much better. My range of motion is back to 100%. I can finally strech my quads again, which is such a relief. I definitely lost a lot of strength and flexibility though. If I squat down like I'm pooping in a hole I can really feel that my knee is weaker. It'll come back though. The good news I can ride my bike again! I haven't hit any single track yet but I've been pounding the pavement on the road bike the last few days. Haha, I rode in the pouring rain the other day and I realized I'd rather be riding in full on conditions than spend one more fuc*ing day on the couch. I have to move further down in southwest FL next week (job transfer) so I'm struggling to find time to get on the trails in the next few weeks. If anyone wants to ride in the Ft. Myers area around mid-October let me know. I'm not sure there're many good trails there (Alva?) but maybe we could get over to Markham. I haven't done much riding south of Alafia.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed this thread! I never used to troll the "rider down" board... thought it would be a jinx. But now I gotta at least sympathize with everyone. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend wanted to rip my head off at least a dozen times. She said it best talking with her sister, "You try to keep Michael [her husband] inside for a two months and see how he acts!" I was a caged animal!

Lokiboy8 - When I first read your post I thought you were nuts. I looked around and it turns out there are a lot of reports/studys comparing VAC therapy and Low Intensity Laser Therapy. I'd never heard of it, but I'm going to ask the Dr. about it next time I see him. I'm sure it's too late now, but if there's ever a next time. Also, do you have a laser at home that you zap yourself with??
    I live in Lehigh Acres. I am about 20 minutes from the Alva trail (Caloosahatchee Regional Park). There is a trail maintenance day scheduled for 9/20 and another on 9/27. Markham is around 2 hours away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast