Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Grade 5 AC Separation

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  VinT 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I bought a new hardtail 29er back in July and on my 5th ride I taco'd my front wheel when I landed a jump on the trail. I launched over the handle bars and slammed hard. I ended up in the hospital and was diagnosed with an AC Separation. I went to see a surgeon and he determined that it was a grade 5 separation and it needed to be surgically reconstructed. The accident was about 10 weeks ago and I am about 2 months out of surgery. PT has been amazing so far and I have really good range of motion, but I am still getting random nerve pain. My left shoulder is considerably smaller than the right now due to muscle deterioration I guess. I still haven't been cleared to get back on the bike, but I am itching to ride! At least it gives me time to save up some money to replace my broken wheel!

Before Surgery

Font Medical imaging Space Medical Medical radiography

After Surgery

Text Joint Medical radiography Font Radiography

msuj

See less See more
#6 ·
... grade 5 separation and it needed to be surgically reconstructed...
Did you get the AC Twin TightRope joint reconstruction surgery? It's a little hard to tell from the X-ray, did they also cut the distal end off of the clavicle?

Also, do you still get the nerve pain, if so, what kind? (I've got a Grade 3 AC separation with occasional nerve pain in down the armpit while moving.)

Here is the mega thread on AC joint separations: http://forums.mtbr.com/rider-down-injuries-recovery/ac-separation-shoulder-separation-300318-11.html

#7 ·
I'm not sure what the technique was called, but basically they drilled holes and implanted a tendon graft to tie the clavicle down. They did do a distal removal as well.

I had been getting pretty bad nerve pain up until a couple weeks ago when I got a Stellate Ganglion Nerve Block. It has helped dull the nerve pain significantly, but I am still getting bone pain and sore muscles.

Do they have you doing PT for your separation?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.