aka Manzanita Tom
    Aug 2006

Got a nice helo ride Saturday

Had a nice helo ride last Saturday - courtesy of Sonoma County Sherriff's office. Turns out they do evacs of downed mountain bikers (like me) out of China Camp. Guess I needed it: 4 broken ribs, clavicle, and transverse process (the little wing thing) on T1 vertabra (no spine issues). I was barely moving when I tried to do a little two-foot tabletop drop back down onto the single track I was riding. Did it quite wrong and went over the bars and landed on my head/shoulder/side. aye yi yi. Sore, but full recovery expected.
    Another rider (Dave) found me laying in a heap on the trail and called 911. Once they assessed my condition and position they realized a walkout wasn't an option, nor was vehicle access on the single track. Police helo followed the trail and they found me fairly easily.

So I've had the week off work and wifey's been working from home and taking care of me. On pain meds for another few days, and then should be able to start moving a bit more. 6 weeks for bones to mend, 3 months to full recovery.

Yes, Crashing Sucks! But the mountain bikers and hikers/trail runners in China Camp, and the Sonoma County Sherriff's office, the San Rafael Fire Dept EMT crew, and the Kaiser Permanente ER docs all rock! Thanks to them everything turned out fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got a nice helo ride Saturday-helo-pic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    damn dude, get well soon. i can empathize: i ate it pretty hard in demo forest down in santa cruz a few years ago, and got a ride out courtesy of cal fire. props to all the EMTs and fire departments out there. when you are better, you can hook them up w/ some ice cream (i took some by the cal fire station near demo forest, and they seemed pretty appreciative. no alcohol, its not allowed in their stations)

also, good thing it wasn't worse, i saw an old thread years ago on MTBR of a guy who died at china camp.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

aka Manzanita Tom
    Aug 2006
    HHey dth- thanks for the support and the tips - great idea re icecream! The guy who died out here - I heard about that. Last I heard they thought it was a heart attack.

Anyway - can't wait to get healed up and back out.

mtbr member
    Good Luck on your recovery Tammin. I'm on week 3 of recovery from crashing at Demo. I broke my 5th metacarpal on my left hand and had 6 fractures in my face. My biggest problem is boredom at this point. I can't work with out my hand.
    Last edited by otis24; 08-04-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: used can when I meant can't
    I like to ride bikes.