Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Got my ACL reconstructed in January...

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  stonant 
#1 ·
I'd torn my ACL sometime in the last 20 years. It wasn't diagnosed until last fall. I missed a lot of riding last year from recurrent knee injuries.

Got a MRI and found out I had a near complete tear of my left ACL.

In January I got it repaired using my own Patella tendon. I've been able to walk without crutches for the last week.

Just wondering about how others have done with this injury and recovery.

G
#2 ·
Had mine in 94 but like you waited many years before having it repaired, same patella tendon etc. My care post OP was outstanding, hence therein lies the difference with success. Eventually followed up with 6 weeks of PT which of course includes massage, electro stimulation, stretching every day to regain ROM(range of motion) is most important, strength can be had with time if you dedicate yourself.

#3 ·
Shredded my right ACL on the soccer field in 2004. I had lots of swelling and surgery a few months later (patellar tendon graft). Took more than a year to get my flexibility back (which is a lot longer than most).

Fully recovered by late 2005. Only times I even notice it is when the temperature changes dramatically.

I ride stout geared single speeds more than geared MTB's and never any knee pain riding a (properly fitted) bike.

Above all: be patient during your rehab and recovery. Trying to do too much too fast tends to lead to pain and even re-injury.

G
#4 ·
My son just had this done in September. He's been through the PT and has been cleared to run/bike since January. The recovery is really a "you" thing. You have to stay focused on your PT exercises, you have to stay away from things until cleared by the doctor, and you should probably do some time on the stationary bike as cleared by your doctor. Cyclist tend to have knees that aren't best supported laterally because our sport is so specific. Keep your PT exercise sheets handy and do those exercises as part of your daily routine (from now on) and you'll do great.

#6 ·
I've torn my left ACL twice in four years (non-bike related). Did patellar tendon reconstruction on the second go around. Biking is great for your knee, and bring a positive attitude to your therapy appointments. The recovery is all about what you put into it. If you ask for more exercises and push yourself at every appointment, and work out on your own time, you will be back and in better shape than before by the six month mark.

First time I kicked ass and was playing snowboarding lightly in month 4, playing contact hockey in month 5/6.

Second time around my PT was interrupted by a seizure and the resulting labrum tear. Because I couldn't finish my knee rehab I am still paying the price to this day, and only am finally getting my ass into gear. You will get the strength and flexibility back fairly quickly, but it will take more time and lots of practice to get the same explosive/fast twitch back. If PT gets too expensive, towards the end just go once every other week to once a month for a check-in and to get new exercises.

Best of luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.