Merendon Junkie

Got Close and Personal with the asphalt on saturday (warning, gory images)

We were almost done with our ride and back on the asphalt. We were about 50 meters away from where we meet after saturday rides to have some beers and eat chinese food when all of a sudden im falling off my bike while going about 35 km/hr and sliding on some coarse asphalt. I get up almost immediately and see my right arm covered in blood. I twist it a bit to take a look at my elbow and I see it, a nasty dirty wound. I also noticed that my camelback was now pretty messed up. Turns out a ridding buddy tried to pass me and accidentaly clipped my handlebar. He did not go down. (this picture is after it was cleaned)
    Got Close and Personal with the asphalt on saturday (warning, gory images)-img_1258c.jpg

I knew it meant a trip to the ER so off we went. Its only a few blocks away.
    Got Close and Personal with the asphalt on saturday (warning, gory images)-img_1267.jpg

I dint feel that I had abrasions on my back until I got to the ER.
    Got Close and Personal with the asphalt on saturday (warning, gory images)-img_1260c.jpg

After some painfull cleaning, 9 stitches and 50 dollars (deductible) Im off to my house to rest in agony

Its been 4 days now and this is how the wound is looking up. My arm has swollen pretty significantly. I have full range of motion so nothing appears to be broken. I am on daily shots of antibiotics plus oral antibiotics. I have to clean it with some red medical soap twice daily in an "agressive manner" as per the doctors instructions. He said I fell on one of the dirtiest asphalts. That street is lined with bars and nightclubs. The inflamation now appears to be subsiding and the red skin is now below where I had marked it the day before. I got basically no sleep on saturday and sunday night and have had interrupted sleep since monday because of the pain. The goey white stuff you see there is an antibiotic cream i have to put on after cleaning.
    Got Close and Personal with the asphalt on saturday (warning, gory images)-img_1275.jpg

So, what else would you suggest I do to take care of this. How much time you guys think Ill be off my bike?

Cheers
    Abel
    Last edited by abelfonseca; 04-04-2013 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    until it heals and isnt open Im almost on the same situation

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pretty much the above. Until you get a hard scab that begins to peel, stay off the bike, as it's not fully protected yet. Your stitches should be good to go after a week or two (which would probably coincide with when your antibiotics are going to be over).

When treating deep/large surface area wounds, I've always been told to steer clear of use/anything that might aggravate it/uncovering it/getting the dressings wet...pretty much all things that hard riding would do.