mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Go-To Home Remedies for Minor Sprains and Bruises

Hello,

I am interested in knowing what people tend to use for minor sprains and bruises.

I use a combination of ice, ibuprofen, and arnica rub, sometimes getting acupunture and chiropractic work done. I tried tiger balm recently and it was quite effective.

Anything else out there that you use?

-ohmygato

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Arnica rub is good stuff, ibuprofen and ice for swelling. Bio freeze is good too for sore muscles. My mother in law is from Colombia and has a much more holistic approach to health, which has influenced my wife's caregiving. Right now I have both MCL's torn, right knee ACL torn, fractured tibia, cartilage damage and a torn calf muscle. They have me taking horsetail, can't give any feedback really since I have only been taking it a few weeks. I might try some acupuncture just to make it more bearable. It has been 6 weeks since it happened, doing as much prehab as I can, but other than a good day here and there, it feels like nails are being driven into my knees. Was really hoping to have surgery and maybe do something more than rail trails this season, but starting to feel that itself might be a stretch...I will say this though, keeping well hydrated helps a ton.

Funny story about Tiger Balm: back when I played in the local bush league, we had a pitcher/manager that played a bit in the pros long ago. He was probably going on 60 years old at the time and had a devastating knuckleball. He was always putting tiger balm on his elbow, never thought much of it until one time after he struck a guy out and the ball came "around the horn". I could almost smell that tiger balm as the ball came into my glove, went to toss it to the ss and it slipped right out of my hand. Turns out he globbed it on his elbow so he could grease the ball haha.

Anybody else have any good remedies, I would like to know as well.
    The best things in life are not things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    Arnica rub is good stuff, ibuprofen and ice for swelling. Bio freeze is good too for sore muscles. My mother in law is from Colombia and has a much more holistic approach to health, which has influenced my wife's caregiving. Right now I have both MCL's torn, right knee ACL torn, fractured tibia, cartilage damage and a torn calf muscle. They have me taking horsetail, can't give any feedback really since I have only been taking it a few weeks. I might try some acupuncture just to make it more bearable. It has been 6 weeks since it happened, doing as much prehab as I can, but other than a good day here and there, it feels like nails are being driven into my knees. Was really hoping to have surgery and maybe do something more than rail trails this season, but starting to feel that itself might be a stretch...I will say this though, keeping well hydrated helps a ton.

Funny story about Tiger Balm: back when I played in the local bush league, we had a pitcher/manager that played a bit in the pros long ago. He was probably going on 60 years old at the time and had a devastating knuckleball. He was always putting tiger balm on his elbow, never thought much of it until one time after he struck a guy out and the ball came "around the horn". I could almost smell that tiger balm as the ball came into my glove, went to toss it to the ss and it slipped right out of my hand. Turns out he globbed it on his elbow so he could grease the ball haha.

Anybody else have any good remedies, I would like to know as well.
    Good god man... sorry to hear about your injuries. You have probably mentioned it in another thread but I am curious to know how you did that one. Obviously you are staying positive and just remember that a couple seasons of rail trails are better than no bike at all.

Thanks for your comment on icy hot. I have heard good things about that stuff but have never tried it myself. I also have never heard of horsetail but it sounds like that is for a different type of injury than just your average sprain. I will look into it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Haha, it was downhill skiing this winter, icy conditions and I got too relaxed. Had been xc skiing earlier in the day and muscle memory had me thinking I was skating for a second, caught an inside edge and both knees collapsed inward before I could react. Just got back from the ortho, surgery has to wait until mid May...at least there is good time to really work on my quads for prehab, and maybe still get in some late season rides, maybe.

Bio freeze is different from icy hot, it never gets the hot feeling. Works great for sore muscles, backs etc. The horsetail is supposed to help rebuild tissue, sort of like Glucosamine. I don't think there is a lot of fact behind it, but it has been used for a lot of things for a long long time. So we will see. Incidentally my ortho suggests glucosamine, which I was kind of surprised by, apparently they see enough good in it to condone it. I didn't ask him about the horsetail tho...that might have led to me telling him about blue green algae, clove extract, a whole list of things my mother in-law has told me to take. If I didn't have a good relationship with her, I would think she might be trying to slowly poison me.

RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate) really does do wonders for healing, unfortunately it doesn't help stay conditioned too well. It sucks growing up. At 42 I am not quite yet grown up, but somehow I fear I may be getting old.
    The best things in life are not things.