sac
    Oct 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well give me protective gear recommendations

Hi, i'm new to this forum! My name is Brian, i'm 20 and i started biking a few months ago and i'm still eating it with scars all over my body which looks terrible.

A few weeks ago down in Mailboxes in Santa Cruz i took the wrong jump, landed incorrectly and dislocated my left shoulder. To make matters worst, recently one of my mom's clients, a mountain biker of 3 years, rolls into my mom's shop in a wheel chair. Low and behold he's a parapalegic from a crash off of St. Josephs (a steep & windy downhill beginner trail).

My physician told me a second shoulder dislocation is common among those who have already had it separated. Also, that would lead to surgery.

So my question is, which protective armor would you guys recommend? What would protect my damaged shoulder and do spine protectors/full protective suits prevent one from becoming paralyzed?

I am a bit ashamed that i am resorting to protective gear just for mainly XC and a few rocky downhills.

mtbr member
    Okay, there is no shame in wearing protective gear. While it can't necessarily save you from every inevitability, it can save you some of the time. The best is a suit with a decent spine protector. The best is DAINESE hands down. You won't like this fact when you see how much they cost, but they are great, comfortable and perfectly designed. I have the safety jacket.
    If you don't want to spring for a suit then go elbows, knees and maybe padded shorts (661 bombers have protection for you tailbone - that is a good thing, as anyone who has ever landed on their coccyx will attest to). There are a lot of brands that are good here, and I would not recommend Dainese here (in my experience they slip too much and are cumbersome to pedal with)
    Nothing will stop your arm becoming dislocated if you land the wrong way in a fall, the shoulder's ROM is massive, and so is its instability! You can however learn HOW to fall so as to lessen the damage (do a search on this)
    Full face helmets are good when it isn't too hot. The new Giro remedy ones look pretty light weight.
    Have fun. You'll find you ride harder and faster with armour on, it adds to the fun.

sac
    Oct 2007
    "You'll find you ride harder and faster with armour on, it adds to the fun."

-thanks, i think you're right on that one.

i looked at the reviews on the dainese suit and i don't see any weaknesses. Unfortunately my budget is limited and i'm looking at a few competitors:
    the rockgardn flak jacket, the fox launch suit, and the 661 pressure suit are all priced around the $180 range.

Now to square off between the three of those.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any opinions about the rock gardn flak vest versus the 661 core saver vest for general protection?

sac
    Oct 2007
    for the rockgardn reviews; looks really good too! i'm going to pick one up this weekend.

"Versatile: can be used as a Vest, full jacket, or just elbow guards. Removable spine section. Protection well placed and where you need it most. I like the fact that the jacket comes all the way down to the waist line not mid torso like the 661 Pro Pressure Suit. Two piece chest protector doesn't "choke" you out like some breast plate designs (IE 661 Pro Suit)"

here's the core review

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I agree with mtnkiwi's comments on the Dainese jacket. I have it and it works and is relatively cool (temperature wise). I would NOT recommend Dainese elbow and knee guards. They slip on me all the time, especially the kneeguards. Roach kneeguards work for me. I hope that guy in the wheelchair isn't permanently disabled? Did he land on his neck or back? I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often in mountainbiking.

sac
    Oct 2007
    i dont know exactly how it happened but the guy's disabled for life. St. Josephs doesnt have any jumps or rockgardens, just an insane spiraling fireroad down a mountain. He must have launched off the cliff.

in other news i tried on the fox launch suit and it's stuffy inside. Ordered the Roost, extremely light, maneuverable, and breathable. Just need some roach knee guards and a spine protector and i'm set.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by beareeyeaan
    i dont know exactly how it happened but the guy's disabled for life. St. Josephs doesnt have any jumps or rockgardens, just an insane spiraling fireroad down a mountain. He must have launched off the cliff.

in other news i tried on the fox launch suit and it's stuffy inside. Ordered the Roost, extremely light, maneuverable, and breathable. Just need some roach knee guards and a spine protector and i'm set.
    Was this the guy who was out there past dark? I heard about someone there falling off a cliff because it was too dark.

I recommend wrist guards, but that's because I shattered my wrist on the easiest part of the Ridge Trail I could have. Fireroads aren't necessarily safer than singletrack--my husband completely annihiliated his helmet (and a good portion of skin from his knee) crashing on Quicksilver, which is one of the easiest trails around here.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women