mtbr member
    Feb 2008

getting hit by cars suck

when i was 7 i fell of my bike and messed up my left knee. it still buged me from time to time but it was usually okay.

a while back theres a backstreet behind my school. this lady in a 2007 GT mustang was blasting down the street. i had the green light she desided to right turn.

BAM im flying threw the air. my leg hurts like hell. i get up and limp away. and shes like OMFG are u okay.. im like yeah yeah im fine. i cant remember what we talked about next but we got info and stuff and im like is ur car okay

and because of my big ol platform pedals theres a inverted V in the bumper. i tell my parents and later that night they call saying that they will going to try to bill my insurance if its over 2000

lets see. she hit me. yeah....

so yeah just wanted to share a stupid people story. hurts to walk every once an awile more frqently now. lovely...

mtbr member
    Well....if you had the green, I hope you explain to your parents that she hit you by making an illegal turn. Additionally, I hope you're getting checked out. It's not worth a lifetime of pain to not get looked at and find out if you're ok or other.
    :wq

Big Gulps, Alright!
    The lady that hit you stopped? Impressive....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i have a doctors appointment coming up anyway so maybe ill make sure everythings okay... is it to late? this happend about a month ago. but i could say that the doctor is so good hes been way to busy... lol

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If she sent you a bill I guess you should send her a doctors bill just for kicks. And a bike repair bill.
    Leave no bolt untuned!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    You might have a chance. 2nd time I got hit I hit the guy who hit me with a medical bill - I was fine, but doctors visits cost $. His insurance paid for it. Woulda hit him with a bike repair bill, but I was riding a Spec. Hardrock at the time....as he backed his car out of the road, the pedal was stuck under his bumped and dragged the bike a good 3 or 4 feet....even then that thing was virtually indestructible.

meh... whatever
    when a car hits you...

ALWAYS CALL THE COPS!

DONT GET UP! (unless they are driving off and you need to try to get their plate)

GET WITNESS' CONTACT INFO

GO TO THE E.R. IMMEDIATELY

youre pretty much screwed now if you have problems cuz its your word against hers. you have no witnesses, no police report, no nothing. and you dont go to the doctor until a month later.

call this broad up and talk to her while recording the conversation. dont be obvious but try to talk about the incident and get her to admit she hit you and/or that it was her fault. then discuss her or her insurance paying your med bills. if she refuses and you have her admission on tape its a slam dunk in small claims court.

if you have no luck then just chalk it up as a lesson learned and CALL THE FRICKING COPS NEXT TIME.

of course, sometimes that will backfire on you too.

last feb i got hit by a car on college campus at an intersection where a campus "cop" was sitting. when the "cop" found out i was not a student he walked away from me and left me writhing on the ground in agony.

i was left with a totaled $4k bike, cracked sternum, broken ribs, shattered right clavicle, badly separated a/c, two badly sprained wrists, a concussion, and some hella wicked road rash. and a crap load of med bills.

witnesses said it was her fault. she said it was her fault. campus "cop" said it was mine. so who do you think the city cop listened to? you guessed it, the campus "cop".

if i only had gotten some witness' contact info...
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    when a car hits you...

ALWAYS CALL THE COPS!

DONT GET UP! (unless they are driving off and you need to try to get their plate)

youre pretty much screwed now if you have problems cuz its your word against hers. you have no witnesses, no police report, no nothing. and you dont go to the doctor until a month later.

call this broad up and talk to her while recording the conversation. dont be obvious but try to talk about the incident and get her to admit she hit you and/or that it was her fault. then discuss her or her insurance paying your med bills. if she refuses and you have her admission on tape its a slam dunk in small claims court.

if you have no luck then just chalk it up as a lesson learned and CALL THE FRICKING COPS NEXT TIME.

of course, sometimes that will backfire on you too.

last feb i got hit by a car on college campus at an intersection where a campus "cop" was sitting. when the "cop" found out i was not a student he walked away from me and left me writhing on the ground in agony.

i was left with a totaled $4k bike, cracked sternum, broken ribs, shattered right clavicle, badly separated a/c, two badly sprained wrists, a concussion, and some hella wicked road rash. and a crap load of med bills.

witnesses said it was her fault. she said it was her fault. campus "cop" said it was mine. so who do you think the city cop listened to? you guessed it, the campus "cop".

if i only had gotten some witness' contact info...
    I agree witnesses are the key. Not a biking accident but my friend got in a car accident. right outside work. It was kind of her fault since she was doing a left handed turn. Turns out there was a brawl on campus because of some political debate and the cops never came after 3 hrs. And we called, her work called, no one came. So she took pictures and they both went on their way. Since there was no report from authorities the insurance companies couldn't claim who's fault it was and she made it Scott free. She had liability of course.

BTW what insurance are you talking about Josh? Car?
    Leave no bolt untuned!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    all i remember her saying is
    " if the dent costs more than 2000 we will file a claim with your homeowner insurance. im going to file a police report aswell". dent was 750

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    when a car hits you...

ALWAYS CALL THE COPS!

What do you do if it was a cop car that hit you?

I was 15 got hit by a police cruiser, did not go to the hospital after destroying one of my shoulders on the landing did not know it at the time. spent 9 years in court system and I got close to nada. ** short version**

Double-metric mtb man
    You hope the cop had a silent partner that was turned on and caught it on tape. Video evidence makes it hard to dispute.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Yea...not surprised that happened, most people use their vehicle with no care these days. as a pedastrian and cyclist i try and always analyse every situation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Advice for cyclists hit by cars.

I was whacked while riding my bike a few years ago as well. It was night time, but I had an awfully bright HID (flamethrower), and a helmet light, and...now get this...I was on a sidewalk. Anyway, because of how well I was lit up I had several witness's far away that had saw what happened. They didn't know what or who I was, just that 2 really bright lights were traveling down sidewalk, then bam, nothing. So I got lucky in the witness deptartment. Anyway, Ins. Co. started making some noise about my clothing I was wearing (black) & I saw where that was headed so I cut it off at the pass so to speak right away, explaining people a half mile away saw me, how come your driver didn't?

Anyway, as a self employed claims adjuster (plus the fact the police did come & issue driver a ticket), I knew my way around the system better than most.

But here's where the advice somes in. Start throwing around a term called BI (short for bodily injury), if they don't make this right. They'll think you have some knowlege on the situation, & treat you diferently (or at least they should). Of course that depends on whether or not the driver is actually at fault. I think sometimes people just assume it the driver's fault when this happens. Be honest with yourself about that first, then do your best to handle it on your own, then as a last resort call an attorney.

Above all else, avoid name calling, and be professional. Nothing will make a claim adjuster care less about your claim if your talking to him like this accident is his fault. You have no idea how often we are verbally abused because of somebody's else's mistake.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for posting litespeedaddict. That was some good information to know.

Also it is a good reason and excuse to slurge on some good lights
    Leave no bolt untuned!

mtbr member

Been There, Done That

I have had several Bike/Auto collisions over the years. Last one was a doozy- 6 fractures, tendon graft, ligament grafts etc, etc.... My advice is to remain calm. Always get witness information. If you feel the driver was at fault make that point very clear to the officer or witnesses who are at the scene. Never admit guilt. Never embellish injuries. Always have injuries treated by professionals to ensure proper healing and to create a valid medical record related to the incident.

If you have any question as to the validity of the claim consult an attorney. One insurance aspect that many don't know- Many states have a mandatory Personal Injury Protection rider for your auto policy. This PIP will cover your injuries for a specified amount (in my state $3,000) even if you are not in your vehicle. If the other driver s uninsured or underinsured, your policy may pay up to 3,000 in medical cost since the accident involved an auto.

In my case, my policy covered around 20K in medical and then took payment from his policy through subrogation at time of settlement.

Long story short, you failed to mitigate your loss by not seeking treatment and/or professional help at time of injury. It is unlikely at this point that you will be able to make a claim against this driver even if she was at fault. Learn from your mistakes. God forbid you should ever be involved in another incident resulting in injury. If you are, follow the advice you have received and protect yourself.

Safe riding to all....