Crazy Alaskan MTBer

Getting Fit With a Broken Collar Bone

As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm 17 and setting my sights on competing in the Olympics. But as I sit here, I'm out of shape (not horribly so, but I have a long ways to go) and nursing a broken collar bone. My question is how do go about getting in shape for the short Alaskan summer over the next few months with my injury? As mentioned before, I'm in Alaska and want to take advantage of as much of the short summer as I can to actually go biking.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your collar bone. I broke mine a long time ago and it slowed me down a lot. However, I was able to get back on the bike and back in shape pretty quickly. Did your doctor tell you anything about exercises you can do for rehab to keep your shoulder flexible? To start I'd focus on that collar bone and make sure it has a chance to heal properly. If you do too much too soon you could easily re break it and have to start all over again. If you want to get to the level of the Olympics you're definately going to learn a lot about how to handle injuries. Part of this is having the discipline to rest.

In the mean time can you get into a pool? Maybe just lying on your back on the surface and kicking back and forth with your feet. Or get a mask, snorkel and fins and do laps snorkeling. I had to do an 800 meter timed snorkel to become a divemaster and I can tell you my heart rate was through the roof and I didn't need my arms at all. In fact you're not allowed to use your arms. My girlfriend was a college soccer player. When she suffered a Tib Fib fracture she was able to stay in shape by swimming. It's low impact. Vibrations can inhibit bone healing so stay off the bike, even a road bike.
    I like to ride bikes.