Obi
    mtbr member

Idea! FYI: Rescue Tactics

Hearing all these injury and rescue stories brings this to mind...

~ Are you all aware that even if your cell phone doesn't show reception, or is on a current contract, current rescue standard insure (well, ideally for the most part) that a 911 call will be completed, even by means of bandwidth transmission? Yep, as per the FCC's E-911 policies.

*I now carry one of my old phones with me since my injury at China Camp, so should the need arise, we can get rescue service in.

~ Also, be ready to get back in touch with rescuers should the establishment of location be an issue. We had a backcountry rescue occur, and used the phones in bandwidth mode, while using a responder who could whistle really loud, to establish location. A rescue whistle, or the ability, as some of you have seen me do, is a valuable tool.

~ Everyone can benefit from taking a Wilderness Rescue, CPR, Responder course with your local Red Cross or equivilant body. Even having someone with you who is trained is valuable, two's better, should a responder be injured.

Some good reading...
    Last edited by Obi; 11-05-2006 at 07:17 PM.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

Fireball in the Night
    I carry a rescue whistle because it was once suggested that some injured whistlers cannot whistle because of : collapsed lung, dry lips, etc.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think you should be cautious in leading people to belive that they can get thru to 911 despite no signal. No signal is no signal...which means no 911 connection.

Now it is true, that a cell phone that is not signed up with a carrier can be used to reach 911, provided you are in an area which receives a signal.

I live in a large metropolitan area that has all the latest and greatest police/fire equipment and I have been woefully unimpressed with their capabilities to provide rescues on mtb trails. They have no capability to track cell location and the phone operators have no knowledge of wilderness parks at all. If it weren't for mountain bikers telling them exactly how to enter the park and where to go once inside and meeting them and guiding them, a rescue would be significantly delayed. One 911 operator insisted on cross streets before she could do anything...she didn't know where the park was or who had jurisdiction over it. How hard is it to have a list of parks and their jurisdictions at the 911 phone center and is it too much to ask to have a database of trail names and their locations? Not everyone knows the trails well enough to describe how rescue should enter the park and get to their location, especially if they happened to be severely injured and unable to communicate/think well.

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    I live in a large metropolitan area that has all the latest and greatest police/fire equipment and I have been woefully unimpressed with their capabilities to provide rescues on mtb trails.
    Which city?
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

A couple thoughts on cell phones...

What does it mean to use a cell phone in "bandwidth mode" or for a "bandwidth transmission"? I've never heard either of these terms.

I've carried my cell phone on a lot of rides in the Santa Cruz mountains, and found plenty of locations where it indicates "No Service". I still carry it, but don't count on it for a rescue situation.

Regarding cell phones and 911 calls. In California, all 911 cell calls go to a regional California Highway Patrol center. This turns out to be not so helpful for a number of reasons. It turns out that with a cell phone, it is a really good idea to look up and program in business numbers for local fire and police agencies in your area. Or, if your county has a central dispatch service, get that number and program it into your cell phone. In an emergency, you can also call information or the operator and ask to be connected to the relevant agency.