2WD
    Rides like a girl

Fx distal tib/fib, proximal fib

Howdy all. New to the forum here. Recovering from a broken leg -nonbiking injury- which is interfering with my riding Any one experience a similar fracture and how did your getting back into riding go? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A shattered tib/fib was what got me INTO riding. I did it playing football when I was 13. Took 6 months but I was on a bike on paved trails pretty much as soon as the PT recommended it to restrengthen my knee (I had a full leg cast or was non-weight bearing for 4 months)... a few months after that I wrecked and bent the frame on the bike I was riding which is why I ended up with the bike I've got now (That was 10 years ago, yikes)... by the same time the next year my 8 mile route went from taking 45 minutes to taking 21 minutes (mostly smooth, easy trails with one steep but roughly paved long climb).

Follow the PT's or doctors instructions and you'll be fine.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Thanks for the insight! 4 months nwb!!! That would drive me over the edge - it has been 6 weeks now and I'm going nuts!
    How much muscle atrophy did you have? How long did it take to come back?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Everyone is different referring to atrophy and recoup time. I was really young then (13-14 years old) so my recovery time was fast. I'd say I was back to normal strength in 2-3 months, and very quickly exceeded that with the type of riding I was doing. I had severe atrophy, the leg that was broken was quite a bit less than the functioning leg. My legs are naturally pretty big, but the measurements were 32" for my "good" leg and 20" for the leg I had broken, mid thigh. I walked on a walking cast for 1 month prior to being release for exercise, which helped quite a bit. Most importantly, if you can, bend your knee as much as possible. This will keep the muscles working, even at partial normal load, and will keep the flexibility in your knee. My first cast went to about 8" above my knee, casts there-after went to just below my knee. They were replaced every month or so.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    That's good to know in regards to your amount of atrophy and the time it took to get riding! I just hope the age factor doesn't work against me!
    I just have hardware - no casting - so i've been able to swim and my flexibility is for the most part back. My leg has atrophied - but not 12" worth! Yikes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your atrophy should be considerably less and muscle wise your recovery should be significantly better. My leg was shattered but due to my age, they didn't want to put a plate in unless absolutely unnecessary, hence the amount of time I was in a cast. Especially if you're swimming and able to use your leg while swimming, that will be a HUGE help in your quick recovery.

One of my legs is still 2" shorter than the other one...

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Ya, I measured today for a comparison after what you posted- 1 1/2 inches lost at my thigh-used the cycling short tan line as a reference!
    I can't imagine having a shattered leg - 3 breaks is bad enough but to have that much trauma, especially when you're a kid. That must have been a bummer. Good thing that you were able to get into cycling as a part of therapy. I plan on using a stationary bike asap - next recheck is on the 19th; I've got some races coming up at the end of July and August which I hope to be able to commpete in. We shall see!!

2WD
    Rides like a girl

Update

April 24th will be one year from when I broke my leg. I didn't do the race in July and did one lap in the August race (24 hours relay race).
    This past Saturday (4/5/08) -was the first race of the year and I came in 3rd out of the women riders, which I am absolutely astounded by. Who would have thought!.