mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Funny but not really

I have only been Mountain Biking a few times now and love it..... BUT! I have experienced penile numbness, swelling in sit bones and severe soreness from both rides. I am hoping it gets better over time. I am not a big guy and do not have ANY padding back there in the form of fat on my buttocks!

I am wearing padded shorts, making sure that the saddle is in the right position, trying to stand more than sit while riding.....

My questions:

Is there a different saddle that I can buy that would help? Gel? Split? (Please send links)

Is there a better pair of padded shorts than others?

What techniques do you use to help this issue?

Thanks.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    This is not funny at all. I am familiar with your issue because I had it. I thought originally that I simply needed to put up with it as part of biking. If you let this issue go, you can cause permanent damage to your sex life and well being.

The saddle you have is causing the issue. It is either improperly set up (tilted too far up, too far down, moved too far forward or too far aft) or it is just a bad saddle.

I switched saddles fortunately because the one I was using broke. I have since found several. The first one was a Koobi. It was excellent. Since then I have gravitated to WTB saddles as they fit my physiology perfectly. I have had no problems since the initial saddle incident.

You should go to a bike shop and be fitted for a proper saddle. There are many out there. The correct fit and set up is important. I have heard from guys who have gotten good relief from WTB, Terry, Fizik and others. These days there is a right saddle out there for you. Please find it as soon as you can.

Good luck!

I like this place

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I went through that when I started racing, because they were longer rides with no breaks. Felt like a giant marshmallow in my crotch. Well, giant for a marshmallow... Pretty scary.

The Koobi was also my first saddle purchase after this started happening. It worked okay, but it was so wide I had a hard time getting behind it on descents. In addition to the saddles Jim listed, Specialized has several widths, and most dealers should have the fit system. It's just a gel pad you sit on, and they measure your sit bone width. Just take your shorts and liners to the fitting to be accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now