Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

BFST , Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy

Has anyone tried BFST for Rotor Cuff Repair recovery?
    4 weeks after Rotor Cuff & Bicep tear repair surgery and not enjoying it.
    Ready to try 'something'.
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was imobilised for the first six weeks. Do yourself a favor and do as your told!

mtbr member
    @jp08865 - Have you started doctor prescribed PT yet? Had my surgery 7/15/14. Three anchors for a full tear (bifurcated) rotator cuff. My Dr. would not start my therapy for 6 weeks. Some are more conservative and will wait 8 weeks. Just be patient. To answer your question, no I haven't tried that type of therapy. Talk to you Dr. about it. I was off my bike for 4 months. Been riding since November and have 90% + ROM. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Same here, 2 1/2 weeks out of surgery and losing my mind with this HUGE abduction pillow but must be patient and do as the Dr. said, keep it immobile for 6 weeks!

mtbr member
    Yes, just be patient!! You'll be back at it soon enough. Just think, when will you ever be able to watch this many episodes of Dr. Phil again? Seriously, do as your Dr. prescribes! You DON'T want to go through this again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks guys, just really disgusted with lack of progress. Yes, started PT 3 days after surgery and immobilized for 6 weeks minimum as per surgeon. Doc seems satisfied with condition, I'm just whiney. Have NOT slept properly in over a month. Just sick and tired of being sick and tired and sitting around doing nothing.
    Thanks Again, sometimes just knowing others are in the same boat is re-assuring.

mtbr member
    Started PT 3 days after? Maybe 3 weeks???

I am 3 weeks post op and I feel ya man, sleeping with this HUGE abduction pillow is a b**ch. Mostly on the couch recliner and away from the wife! I am not sitting around doing nothing though, 2 large golden retrievers love the many dog walks and as crazy as it sounds, been riding the bike a lot on the flat bike path, just cant stop! hahaha... My shoulder feels great on the bars without the pillow & I just cruise along...

mtbr member
    Be Patient! I had Surgery in May for my Rotator and Bicep. I spent Post op walking and doing mellow hikes, then went to riding the beach cruiser around town, then back on the bike at four months. I have full motion and almost full strength now.
    Take your time and follow your Doctors advise and hit the rehab hard. That's the best thing you can do.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Started PT 3 days after? Maybe 3 weeks???

I am 3 weeks post op and I feel ya man, sleeping with this HUGE abduction pillow is a b**ch. Mostly on the couch recliner and away from the wife! I am not sitting around doing nothing though, 2 large golden retrievers love the many dog walks and as crazy as it sounds, been riding the bike a lot on the flat bike path, just cant stop! hahaha... My shoulder feels great on the bars without the pillow & I just cruise along...
    I did the same thing you re doing, so let me give you a tip.

Stay off the trees and other skinnies!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    " Stay off the trees and other skinnies!" You must know me, as I was just starting to feel good doing trees & skinnies. At 62, I'm ready to accept maybe giving up jumping but........
    Oh well, at this point I will be happy to just get back on the bike, back to work and a somewhat normal life !
    Riding on a path in 3 weeks, wow it's still painfull getting a little jarred around in a car at 6 weeks. I can't even imagine holding on to the bars yet !
    PT has just stepped it up a notch (man that little girl can be brutal).
    I tried to cancel my PT on Friday from being really sore from me over doing it on Wednesday.
    The therapist called me back and told me (in a more diplomatic way) you WILL be here for your 2:00 appointment, OR I will hurt you on Monday .
    Had a good session (3rd in a row) so Hopefully things are going to get going forward now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    12 weeks in, Patience ran out. Surgeon now not satisfied either with progress (or lack of) sent for another MRI to see if there is a re-tear, waiting for surgeon visit to interpret MRI Results, didn't do anything to re-tear, so hoping for the best.

mtbr member
    The BFST (blood flow stimulation therapy) mentioned above will unfortunately not help heal complete tears of the rotator cuff. It will however help heal partial tears and will accelerate the healling process post op. The increased circulation not only helps you heal faster, it also lubricates the area to help prevent re-injury. This is a great treatment with a very comfortable neoprene wrap to help with immobilization. It also saves tonnes of money on PT. Here's more info for those interested...
    Rotator Cuff Treatment by King Brand

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maizie88 View Post
    The BFST (blood flow stimulation therapy) mentioned above will unfortunately not help heal complete tears of the rotator cuff. It will however help heal partial tears and will accelerate the healling process post op. The increased circulation not only helps you heal faster, it also lubricates the area to help prevent re-injury. This is a great treatment with a very comfortable neoprene wrap to help with immobilization. It also saves tonnes of money on PT. Here's more info for those interested...
    Rotator Cuff Treatment by King Brand
    Be careful of these "magic" treatments. Nothing replaces PT. If you don't do your PT, you will pay for it by losing mobility and and being not much better off than you were before you went under the knife. Also, a doctor really doesn't know what you have until they get into your shoulder. I had a partial tear and when I went in for surgery, the tear was with the tendon, not across it. The doctor decided that it was best left as is and he cleaned up the tissue cartilage, shaved off the hook on my AC joint and cleaned up my labrum. A doctor cannot see this on MRI's for partial tears. I've been full strength for over 4 years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    FYI, I did order and try the BFST from King. Unfortunately as much as I was hoping, I personally did not feel or see any positive results within the 30 day trial period so returned the unit.

i'm that guy
    Oct 2005
    "... then back on the bike at four months. I have full motion and almost full strength now."
    Hey bro I saw that you mentioned you were back on the bike in 4 months. I'm 37 and just had a full thickness tear repaired on Feb 20th. Doc said 3 - 4 months for me too, but not sure he really understands how aggressive mountain biking is? Could you ride aggressive and ride a DH bike at 4 or 5 months? Or were you taking it easy on smooth trails? I ride in the desert all year and then mammoth and northstar in the summer and we are about to book our trip to tahoe. is it realistic to think i'll be on my dh bike in 4.5 months? (If the answer is no just lie to me lol) Dont' want to waste money on this trip if i won't be able to bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    You should be fine although I would probably skip the jump lines. At that point any get off could destroy the repair as things are still healing/bonding in there. I was riding pretty aggressive rock gardens 3 months post op with no major pains. I am 40 and simply gave in to the fact I don't bounce off the ground like I used to and now take pleasure in more AM type riding chasing smoother flowy single track...

i'm that guy
    Oct 2005
    Thanks bro! I truly appreciate your info. love to hear rock gardens are in my near future! I hear ya on the ground bounce factor. Overshot a wooden landing on skid marks in Mammoth back in July. Ragdolled 75 ft down the mtn. Very lucky to walk away but i Got destroyed... broken collarbone, ripped my leg up (stitches), massive hematoma on my leg, broke my helmet, and probably the reason my cuff completely tore (its been torn for years). Finally healed from all that and went under the knife. have fun out there!

Thread Killer
    Everyone's different. I had 3 of the 4 tendons repaired, full thickness of the Supra. I was riding at 4 months but very easy trails and it took a couple of weeks before my shoulder was strong enough to not get tired and feel too weak after about 4 miles. The real killer for me were G-outs and jumps were definitely out. It was about 6 months before I was able to really get after it without pain and the strength and stability felt good. I'm at 8 months post op now and feel like I'm killing it. I told my buddies I was going to come back with a vengeance and am not passing up any chance to ride my ass off.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    MRI, showed NO re-tear .
    Surgeon had Therapist 'step-up' the PT and things started picking up a lot. Now 16 weeks later, got on the bike (should have done it weeks ago) and going easy but loving it. We all know how riding makes us feel, and I think it is the best PT for the shoulder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12