This guy

Friend in hospital

A friend of mine named Tony was riding at Demo forest last saturday when he came up front wheel low off of a log and tucked the front end smashing head first into the ground (helmets save lives!). He has been in the hospital this week with a obliterated C1?! He wont be paralyzed, but he will have the halo for three months and should recover fully after that. Tony is one of the most hardcore and nicest person that you would ever hope to meet. He is an avid dirtbiker as well as an avid mountainbiker. Please send your best for a speedy recovery!
    RIDE

Double-metric mtb man
    We'll keep Tony in our thoughts (and prayers, as the case may be) and wish him a speedy recovery for us.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I myself did 75 days in the halo for a non-mountain biking injury, so I feel his pain. It is a brutal contraption. He's very lucky though - I fractured my C6 (there are 7 cervical vertebra) with C5 and C7 nerve damage. The 6th vertebrae is one of the best to break. C1 injuries don't seem that common, but C2 injuries are far more common and are often referred to as hangman's fractures (because people who hang themselves typically break the C2). The fact that he won't be paralyzed is really remarkable...

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    wow... hope he recovers soon. I'll keep him in my prayers.

This guy
    thanks guys I know he would be thankful to hear your "get wells"! He has been released from the hospital and now will be recovering at home. Hope to see him on the trails soon!
    RIDE

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Never been in a halo but

have been injured. You just have to take the long view. Tell him he will be back but it definitely takes time. One day at a time. Never get frustrated with your progress, just continue with PT and see brighter days ahead. Good luck man!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Team Cspine

Holy crap!

Quote Originally Posted by YZINGERR
    A friend of mine named Tony was riding at Demo forest last saturday when he came up front wheel low off of a log and tucked the front end smashing head first into the ground (helmets save lives!). He has been in the hospital this week with a obliterated C1?! He wont be paralyzed, but he will have the halo for three months and should recover fully after that. Tony is one of the most hardcore and nicest person that you would ever hope to meet. He is an avid dirtbiker as well as an avid mountainbiker. Please send your best for a speedy recovery!
    Your buddy should go buy some lottery tickets right now! If he shattered his c1 he's lucky to be alive and I know from experience. The nerves that come out at c1 and c2 control all your upper body functions like breathing and people who break those vertebrae don't usually get lucky enough to not have spinal cord damage and don't live much longer.

Don't mean to be a downer but your buddy is super lucky. After the Bills player this weekend, what happened to Tara Llanes and my own cervical spine injury, it really makes me think sometimes...

I hope your buddy gets better soon!
    Sorry what?

This guy
    he's home now and recovering with less than 4 hours sleep a day. We all are wishing the best for his full and speey recovery!
    RIDE