Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fractured Wrist Update

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  danoalb 
#1 ·
Well here's the update. I had a severely commuted distal fracture of my left wrist on 8/15/08. Surgery was performed on 8/22/08. I had plate and screw internal reduction and the operation came out way better than the doctor thought it would as my wrist was a mess. Upon opening it up and doing the reduction the planets went into alignment and dogs and cats started singing kumbya :D and went together perfectly. 5 weeks after the surgery I was riding my bike pretty much every day almost 20 to 30 miles a day. One handed when I could and just resting it on the bars most of the time. The cast came off after about 6 weeks and I wore a splint wrapped in a ace bandage all of the time while riding but not sitting around the house but I did sleep with the splint on. After 12 weeks (3 months) I was wearing a ace wrist wrap for cvs for my rides which worked really good but I still had a gap left in my bone that the doc wasn't sure if I might need a bone graft still. After 16 weeks (4 months) December 22 my wrist was fully healed according to the doc and the bone totally filled in and I stopped using the wrist wrap for support :thumbsup: I rode so much my hand strength was at full strength and my range of motion was totally back to normal and the doc was pretty impressed with the speed of recovery, he said riding was probably a really good thing as long as I didn't fall and trash it again. I'm no spring chicken as I'm 55 right now so it wasn't my youth that helped me. One thing I really tried to do when recovering was to sleep at least 10 hours a night and I think that was a HUGE factor. I rode almost every day hard when awake. As of Jan 22 it has been 5 months since surgery and my wrist feels like it almost never happened. I rode mostly powerline and railroad tracks (very bumpy) and bikes paths. Lots of ice riding also on bike paths as I live right next to the Erie canal in Schenectady, NY and have Nokian extreme 294 studded tires on my winter bike :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Here are some xrays a week after the surgery..........

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.