Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fractured wrist

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Fractured wrist

So I broke my Scaphoid in my right wrist in a crit. Doctors are saying im in a cast 8 weeks best case scenario. I can not grip my bars to ride my trainer so I am thinking about building a table to rest my forearms on and maintain the same hip angle. Anyway does anyone have any experience with this injury? or any suggestions how to best set up the bike to allow me to ride the trainer? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It was spooky for me to get up on my trainer

Quote Originally Posted by ems3564
    So I broke my Scaphoid in my right wrist in a crit. Doctors are saying im in a cast 8 weeks best case scenario. I can not grip my bars to ride my trainer so I am thinking about building a table to rest my forearms on and maintain the same hip angle. Anyway does anyone have any experience with this injury? or any suggestions how to best set up the bike to allow me to ride the trainer? Thanks.
    when my right wrist was casted. I set something to climb up on first then eased my butt over onto the saddle. It felt so weird. I just pedaled sitting straight up. Getting off was no bargain either. At that time the docs were saying keep my cast elevated to keep the swelling down and I bet they told you the same thing. Riding your trainer and having your cast down low I think would suck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yes I know what it is like........I have a post up already.I broke mine 2 weeks ago in Tennessee in a muddy mtb race. It happened in the first mile. I got back on and rode from dead last, up to 7th place. It hurt like a b..... the whole time and I kept shaking it to get rid of the numb feeling. I was on full rigid singlespeed too. It was a 18 mile race. I came home, went to work the next day with a `club` for a hand......swollen. At 5pm I went for Xrays and ....there it is....bust scaphoid....pow!! I am in a green cast and started riding the next day on the road.
    I am now an expert no-hander. I ride every day, and have done some 3 hour rides. This weekend I have a mtb race in Kentucky and will try it out.
    I am asking if anyone has ridden a mtb with a cast.I think the bumps will be killer.
    Any ideas.............but you get off the trainer and go shred.
    later
    Rowland

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    rc - what does your cast look like. right now i am in a brace until my road rash heals then i get in a cast. my problem is the dr. says i can't rotate which makes holding the bars diffcult. any insight would be appreciated i am getting casted on monday i think and i need to direct the dr. the best i can

Front Range, Colorado
    Hmmm looks like you're in the same boat I am in. I fractured, actually shattered into several peices my wrist eight and a half weeks ago. My cast came off at the eight week mark. And I am currently in a brace. It still hurts like he11 and I am very limited to what I can do. I have heard this break can take up to a year to see what kind, if any limited movement there is. Here is a thread of what happened to me.
    When good days go bad.....
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

DIRTJUNKIE, isn't it amazing

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Hmmm looks like you're in the same boat I am in. I fractured, actually shattered into several peices my wrist eight and a half weeks ago. My cast came off at the eight week mark. And I am currently in a brace. It still hurts like he11 and I am very limited to what I can do. I have heard this break can take up to a year to see what kind, if any limited movement there is. Here is a thread of what happened to me.
    When good days go bad.....
    that there are "broken wrists" where the rider can actually think about riding and racing just a few weeks after getting casted? If it was just a matter of ignoring the pain there's absolutely no way I could have done it and if it was just a matter of ignoring the risk of re-injury and permanent damage...well, I couldn't have done that either. How about you?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

pain

I am in a brace now abd have np pain while in it. was that the case for you guys?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I never had a brace

Quote Originally Posted by ems3564
    I am in a brace now and have no pain while in it. Was that the case for you guys?
    and went right to a hard cast. The only reason the pain didn't kill me was because I was poppin' Vicodin like it was candy. For the next 6 weeks. Turning over in bed would wake me with a scream of pain. I eventually weaned myself off the drugs and just took the pain.

You have no pain? Consider yourself very very lucky.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    that there are "broken wrists" where the rider can actually think about riding and racing just a few weeks after getting casted? If it was just a matter of ignoring the pain there's absolutely no way I could have done it and if it was just a matter of ignoring the risk of re-injury and permanent damage...well, I couldn't have done that either. How about you?
    Ride? I think not. I have yet to wipe my azz with that hand much yet ride. Eight and a half weeks later. It may be several more weeks before I even attempt to ride my bike down my driveway much less hit the local trails. Moab in eight more months’ right? My sister rode there this last weekend and had a blast. She sent me some photos of her 12 and 6 year old daughters rock'N slick rock
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-16-2008 at 02:11 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

relax

Hi to all you guys on this subject.......I just came home from my 2 hour road ride that includes 3 sets of hard riding for 15 mins each set and then 3 give-it-all sprints for 1/2 mile each. The cast does not fit in my aero bars so cool, so I rest my elbow on the pad and point it up.My riding buddies are good at watching my wobbles and we go hard. I do the sprints with the cast hanging down by my side and holding on one handed.
    The doctor gave me a brace and I hated it right off the bat......I could move the wrist in the brace and oh boy it hurt. I told him to cast it............but I went and got the bar off my bike and we molded the cast around the bar and in the position I would be on the bike. He is a cool Dr and he doubled up on the cast thickness on top off the hand and at the bottom of the palm under the thumb. The extra thickness allow NO movement at all.I took the grip off the bar so when I ride I am holding the skinny tube in the solid cast.My fingers can reach the brake easily. The only really crappy part is gear changes with the thumbshifter. Pushing on the end of the thumb is bad.....PAIN.So I try and change gear with the four fingers, but that results in 2 or 3 gears changing in one push. I will get used to that though.I race a rigid singlespeed at mtb races, a hardtail for Xterra triathlons, a tri bike for road triathlons and then road bike for road races.
    Running with the cast is nasty cause there is alot of sweating going on that does not happen on the bike.I cannot do any swim training.For the stinky funky cast I use compressed air in my garage to blow dry the inside and then put a bunch of baby powder in there.
    I am going to hit the singletrack tomorrow and finally see if how its going to be..........roots, rocks and dips have me worried.
    Don t beat yourself up over this, I also have a fantastic wife who does not freak out when I go off riding,my buddies are cool and I am not going to park off on the couch.
    Come on....get out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm just saying you have no idea what it could be like

Quote Originally Posted by rcpeddie
    Hi to all you guys on this subject.......I just came home from my 2 hour road ride that includes 3 sets of hard riding for 15 mins each set and then 3 give-it-all sprints for 1/2 mile each. The cast does not fit in my aero bars so cool, so I rest my elbow on the pad and point it up.My riding buddies are good at watching my wobbles and we go hard. I do the sprints with the cast hanging down by my side and holding on one handed.
    The doctor gave me a brace and I hated it right off the bat......I could move the wrist in the brace and oh boy it hurt. I told him to cast it............but I went and got the bar off my bike and we molded the cast around the bar and in the position I would be on the bike. He is a cool Dr and he doubled up on the cast thickness on top off the hand and at the bottom of the palm under the thumb. The extra thickness allow NO movement at all.I took the grip off the bar so when I ride I am holding the skinny tube in the solid cast.My fingers can reach the brake easily. The only really crappy part is gear changes with the thumbshifter. Pushing on the end of the thumb is bad.....PAIN.So I try and change gear with the four fingers, but that results in 2 or 3 gears changing in one push. I will get used to that though.I race a rigid singlespeed at mtb races, a hardtail for Xterra triathlons, a tri bike for road triathlons and then road bike for road races.
    Running with the cast is nasty cause there is alot of sweating going on that does not happen on the bike.I cannot do any swim training.For the stinky funky cast I use compressed air in my garage to blow dry the inside and then put a bunch of baby powder in there.
    I am going to hit the singletrack tomorrow and finally see if how its going to be..........roots, rocks and dips have me worried.
    Don t beat yourself up over this, I also have a fantastic wife who does not freak out when I go off riding,my buddies are cool and I am not going to park off on the couch.
    Come on....get out there.
    It's not like you're tougher than we are, it's that your injury is nothing like ours was. It's like nachomc's thread about his broken leg. It took him 9 months to get back on his bike. Another guy replied about HIS broken leg, he was doing 50 mile rides weeks after his injury. Tough guy, right? No, his injury was completely different, that's all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Tough ?

It has nothing to do with tough......it s all about ``passion`` or ``how bad do you want to ride?`` I want to be out there, I want to be on the other guys wheel,I want to make that pass, I want to rail that berm, I want to clean that tough climb......it goes on......you have to want it bad.
    Its not about tougher or a p.ssing contest......it s satisfying to to get it done, even with a set back.
    This is not a team sport, it is an individual contest against the terrain or the other guy.
    Lighten up, man

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I believe ems3564 says he broke his scaphoid in his right wrist.....well, I broke my scaphoid in my right wrist.mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..broke is broke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

So you think DIRTJUNKIE and I were looking for a reason NOT to ride?

It has nothing to do with tough......it s all about ``passion`` or ``how bad do you want to ride?`` I want to be out there, I want to be on the other guys wheel,I want to make that pass, I want to rail that berm, I want to clean that tough climb......it goes on......you have to want it bad.
    Its not about tougher or a p.ssing contest......it s satisfying to to get it done, even with a set back.
    This is not a team sport, it is an individual contest against the terrain or the other guy.
    Lighten up, man
    I had a Moab trip planned for three weeks after my surgery. I didn't get back out there till 7 months later. I guess the only reason I'm responding to your thread is to let other peeps know that maybe they, with their own particular injury, may not get back in two weeks like the other guy over there did with his particular injury and for them to not feel like they're lacking "passion" or they "just don't want it bad enough". You may think you're not telling me and DJ that you're not tougher than we are, but you're just using different words is all.

mtbr member
    I believe ems3564 says he broke his scaphoid in his right wrist.....well, I broke my scaphoid in my right wrist.mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..broke is broke.
    No two breaks are the same, dude. As xcguy mentioned, the other guy who broke his leg and was riding pretty soon after his break broke his tib/fib, which is what I did. Same thing right? Not quite.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I broke my collarbone a number of years ago. I asked local riders about my down time and I got a range of answers. It was amusing to hear guys tell me they were on their bike's in a couple months I listend to my doc. - it was like 4mo. before I even hit my driveway, over a year before I was close to normal. Sure motivation, desire to ride is a good thing if you are not broken. My motivation is to ride again healed and not risk re-injury.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

the deal is

I want nothing more than to be back on the bike and riding strong by the Deer Valley National. The doctor has not casted me b/c of my raod rash on my palm. I have to say that a lot of people i have talked to are not making me feel that optimistic about Deer Valley but it is great to hear that some people are going out of there way to make riding happen for them. That is encouraging. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    hey ems, I went and rode on the singletrack today for an hour and it was ok.....I had to get off for some logs, some downhill rooty sections had to be walked and I had painful rubbing of the cast on my knuckles from trying to close my fingers around the bar. I put a bunch of baby powder in the cast to ease the moving around or vibration.
    I will see how sore I am tomorrow and I think I am in for the race on Sunday.When is the Deer national ?
    Did you get road rash even with gloves on? Ouch.
    Your city is Phoenix, in Arizona? My daughter is really hoping to get into med school in 2years time in Arizona.
    xcguy and nacho libre, our resident bone consultants, are unhappy that my break is not hurting me.....you can try running even though it suck or go to gym and get your legs all buff on the machines....good luck for Monday

MTB SOCAL
    I don't mean to get in the middle of your little discussion, but I have to disagree with your comment. Broke is not broke. Two people can break the exact same bone, but have completely different injuries, treatments, length of disability, and prognosis.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

Surgery?

I broke my scaphoid badly (and dislocated my lunate and tore ligaments + some other non-hand injuries) in Whistler on September 9th of 2007. That was 7 months ago now.

8 weeks in a cast then 8 weeks of zero riding after that.

Now? I've been doing more and more 'AM' riding and even a few smooth drops and jumps in the last few weeks. Finally on the mend.

Knowing what I know now, I don't expect to be (near) 100% until the end of summer or next fall.

I didn't see if you had surgery or not. If not, do some research on the injury... scaphoids don't heal well on their own... of course everyone's different and for some people surgery might be overkill.

Check Stripe's Broken Wrist thread if you didn't already.

Good luck. Chin up.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    xcguy and nacho libre, our resident bone consultants, are unhappy that my break is not hurting me...
    You're not riding so soon because you 'want it more' or you are 'more hungry'. You're riding soon because your injury allows you to do so.

I think that's what they're saying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    You're not riding so soon because you 'want it more' or you are 'more hungry'. You're riding soon because your injury allows you to do so.

I think that's what they're saying.
    Exactly! I think it's great that he's riding so soon. That's awesome. The issue is that he doesn't seem to understand that not all breaks are the same and he's spreading his experience as if it will be everyones.
    :wq

Front Range, Colorado
    Did someone mention ignorant? All breaks are not created equal. Some people live in their own little world and all others just pass through it. As I type this with one hand 9 weeks after my wrist injury. What a wimp I am, I should be out hucking 40 footers.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Face it, DJ, you're just a wuss

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Did someone mention ignorant? All breaks are not created equal. Some people live in their own little world and all others just pass through it. As I type this with one hand 9 weeks after my wrist injury. What a wimp I am, I should be out hucking 40 footers.
    I got the same treatment from the first two peeps I showed my cast to. First said derisively "ah, I've had TWO broken wrists, you'll be back in 2 months". Next said "yeah, I broke my wrist, three weeks later I was good to go". Huh I had 5 more weeks in my cast. I know you were just looking for a reason to learn to wipe your azz with your other hand! I figured all the left hand learning I had to do (wiping, writing, carrying, accepting change in a store!, brushing my hair...lessee...tying my shoes...wait, how DID I tie my shoes one handed??) all that improved my brain somehow.

Anyway, an acquaintance, who just does not understand why I ride a mountain bike, told me a story of a friend of his who broke BOTH wrists ( ) in one accident. His wife had to wipe his azz for a long long time ( ). Once he got better (you know, like he could tie his own shoes) she divorced him.

See, we all have the same experiences when we "break" our wrists!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    It took me three months before I could get back on the bike.

I won't ride without my arm guards anymore as they're a reminder on where to land.

I have still some wrist pain, doing release with the chiro to get rid of as much non-functional scar tissue as I can. My motor skills are getting better again, and I don't drop things as much as I used to.

My left hand is stronger than my right, but I'm working on getting the fuctionality back quickly. The chiro I'm working with is far more help than the PT at the later stages for me (I broke my wrist last July), and I'm still riding as much as I can.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast