Thread: fractured spine

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

fractured spine

This post is a few weeks after the origional accident. At the october 14 tree farm event there was a free ride obstacle. I decided to give it a go, well I did the first two attemps pretty well. I wanted to try it a third time, well once I made it up the first two inclines I had lost too much speed, and started to go left on the obsticle. At this time I knew I was going off so I tried to jump my whole bike off. I didnt get the rear tire off the platform so I pivoted around that and got piledrived into the ground. I was winded and in some pain, people came over and checked whether I could feel my toes and the sort. I felt ok to get up. After a few minutes after the adrenaline wore off I began to hurt more and more. During the trip home we decide to stop in at the local hospital to just make sure everything is alright. After a few xrays and a cat-scan they reveal that I had fractured two vertebrae. The first one (no chance of paralysis if spinal chord was broken, only death) and the eigth one (paralysis if it had cut the spinal chord). Luckily enough the fractures moved less than one mm, so surgery was not required. After 4 days in the hospital I am released with a full neck and chest brace and must wear it for the next 12 weeks. I had to cancel all of my college classes, i cant bend over, i cant twist, squat or lift anything above my shoulders, i can only go up stairs once a day and must only sleep on my back.

im just glad that i am alive, able to move and will make a full recovery, very close call.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Holy Smokes man!! I hope you heal up quickly and do take it easy and keep us posted. I'm sorry to hear this and I'm actually glad you will heal up and not suffer any permanent damege. I'll remember to continue to do nothing but pure Singletrack riding.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Holy @$%&/!!!

You are really lucky! I hope you heal well and get back riding soon.

All the best,
    Cris

involuntary dismounter
    dude...i'm glad you're going to be ok...and good luck through all of the healing and rehab. it will be a long slow road...stay strong and take care!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

Double-metric mtb man
    Yowsa!!! Here's hoping you have a speedy and total recovery.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get better.

Can you give us any warning signs you might have noticed that might alert us that another rider has has a fracture such as yours.

This could help us prevent paralysis in a buddy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    read post below.
    Last edited by Firestorm450; 11-03-2006 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for reliving that.

I have never heard of the stiffness being very dangerous.

Again get better soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thank you for editing my info, i would hate to have caused someone perminant damage by giving out wrong info.
    Last edited by Firestorm450; 11-03-2006 at 06:26 AM.

I'm a dog person

Potentially Dangerous Treatment Information

I just read this post, and with all respect, Firestorm450's treatment for a possible spinal injury are flawed and if followed can be deadly. If you suspect a spinal injury, do these four things:

1) Have someone call 911.
    2) Assess their breathing and pulse. If they are missing one, you are going to have to do rescue breathing or full blown CPR. Please take a class from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or your local fire department if you don't know CPR.
    3) Do they have other injuries which will kill them if not treated right now? Things like arterial bleeding might be of concern, but weigh treatment of those injuries against paralyzing/killing them from unnecessary movement b/c of a spinal injury.
    4) Immobilize the injured person. Do not let them get up or move them unless their life is in danger (perhaps if they are in a burning car). If need be, hold on to their head to prevent them from turning their neck.

There are additional measures you can take (treating for shock, for instance), but these are the biggies.

Allow me to address Firestorm's post. First, Firestorm, thanks for the post and the participation. I hope your recovery goes well and you are riding again soon! Also, I don't intend any insult by providing an editorial to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm450
    well, if someone falls on their head hard before they move, squeeze their feet/legs/arms/ and so on just to make sure they can feel everything. ask them if they feel that they can get up.
    This is a good indicator of spinal injury but what does it matter? While you are busily checking their senses they are busily slicing their spinal cord to pieces watching you jump around like a fool squeezing their feet and hands. If you are concerned enough to check their extremities, just immobilize them and call 911. While you are holding their head, you can ask them to wiggle their toes and fingers. You can have a broken back/neck and be able to feel everything just fine until you nod to tell everyone you can feel everything just fine...

let them rest for a while, 15 minutes. if they feel the pain in their back i would advise to stop riding
    Don't take the chance. If the impact was significant enough to make you think spinal injury, call 911. The longer you wait, the greater the chance of exacerbating the injury.

and get them checked out by the hospital.no other medical facility wants to touch spinal injuries.
    True enough, but Emergency Medical Services (via 911) deal with spinal injuries on a daily basis and are directly linked with the local hospital. They know how to handle spinal injuries and can treat the patient for other injuries at the same time.

and when driving them there (dont let them drive), drive very gently and be very cautious.
    If you're thinking of taking the injured person to the hospital, call 911 and let EMS take them. They will put a C-collar on this person, strap them to a backboard and give them a safer ride to the hospital than you ever could in your car!

...the brain/spinal chord are way to important just to try walk off, even if the check up was hundreds of dollars it would be worth it either way.
    How can you argue with that last comment?
    Last edited by emptybeer; 01-13-2007 at 08:52 AM.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mmmm, caffeine!
    What are you a doctor?
    If so, good advice.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the procedure memo.

My point (and it was very well answered by firestorm) what symptoms should we look for that might indicate a non-dislocated fracture.

BTW there are lots of places where I and my friends maybe 6 to 8 hours for a a full blown rescue attempt so lighten up with 911.

Brings to mind the table saw cut to the back of the hand at the neighbors we were 10 hours to get to the emerg.

I'm a dog person
    thank you for editing my info, i would hate to have caused someone perminant damage by giving out wrong info.
    My pleasure. Thanks for sharing the info, though!
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Noonie
    What are you a doctor?
    If so, good advice.
    Strangely, the second part of your message, "If so, good advice," doesn't show up in your original post, yet comes up when I quote your message to reply....anyhoo...

No, not a doctor. I'm a Firefighter/EMT. We regularly see spinal injuries from MVAs and (surprise, surprise) bicycle wrecks w/o a helmet.
    Last edited by emptybeer; 11-04-2006 at 09:30 PM.

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Thanks for the procedure memo.

My point (and it was very well answered by firestorm) what symptoms should we look for that might indicate a non-dislocated fracture.

BTW there are lots of places where I and my friends maybe 6 to 8 hours for a a full blown rescue attempt so lighten up with 911.

Brings to mind the table saw cut to the back of the hand at the neighbors we were 10 hours to get to the emerg.
    I'm glad that Firestorm addressed your point, but that wasn't to what I was taking exception, it was the procedures he recommended. If you are 6-8 hours from getting someone to help you, you are very likely to kill someone with a fractured spine if you try to move them that distance. Additionally, even if there isn't a fracture, there still may be an injury which could cause fluid collection inside the spine and ultimately damage the spinal cord. Either way, that person needs treatment, ASAP, and you can't delay by hauling them out yourself. Your best bet is to immobilize them, treat for shock and send someone to get help for the "full blown rescue attempt" if you are out of cell phone range. In other instances, call 911 - no, I won't lighten up on this. I've seen way too many people delay calling and end up killing themselves or coming close and doing permanent damage. As Firestorm said, "the brain/spinal chord are way to important just to try walk off, even if the check up was hundreds of dollars it would be worth it either way."

Try http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001066.htm if you want to learn more about spinal cord injuries. http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/4/1661_50315.htm is good if you want something less clinical. Both pages address signs and symptoms.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    well, its been about 3 months since the accident, and i can finally take my brace off . im going in this friday to get a cat-scan to see exactly how well i have healed. my neck is incredably stiff, i get about 45 degrees of free left/right movement, more than that the muscels tighten. Tilting my head side to side is very tight. up and down is ok though.
    well i figured that the best thing to do on my first day without the brace is to get another helmet, lol. the doc said im at about 80% of origional strength, and it will take me about another year to get the full 100%. but that means i can ride, but not thrash the bike around.

mtbr member

Good luck

I did almost exactly the same thing off a stunt and compression fractured 2 vertabrae in 2005, apart from some stiffness and the aches in the spine i am fine and have full mobillity and ride again, all though I am a lot less gung ho!.

take the revovery slowly and DO the Physio.

Good luck today.

I wish I had...
    You are lucky it wasn't worse.
    I wish I had...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yeah, i know. i was less than half an inch from death.
    im just looking forward to getting on my bike again.

mtbr member
    A chiropractor and/or physical therapist would be really helpful for the symptoms and prevent future problems. With fractures, they'll be very cautious.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Take it easy and enjoy life a bit-
    I am sure you will, given the recent experience.

Glad you are not dead, or worse- paralyzed!

I'm a dog person

100%!

That is fantastic that the doc says you'll bee 100%! Even if it is a year off, that is still a remarkable hope of recovery.