mtbr member
    May 2007

Fractured rib - oh the irony

So, Saturday I got the final component (derailer hanger) for my new bike and was super-excited to build it up. I got a call from some friends a couple hours away to come hang out and ride on the boat a bit. Figured "Eh, i can build it tomorrow"...

then I fractured a rib by slipping while untying the boat from the dock and heard/felt POP right in the middle of my sternum. ZOINK

As best I can tell, my bottom right rib is mildly fractured - I have no breathing or other problems, it's just sore. From what I've heard, the best medicine is mild painkillers/Tylenol, mild activity and lots of good food/rest - any other suggestions? Should I 'test ride' and just get off if it hurts in a week or two? I don't have health insurance so the whole "go to the doc, check it out" would likely nail me for the better part of a grand just for a Vicodin scrip, bleh. Of course if I feel that I need to go in, I'll go in, but right now I'm just relaxing and taking it slow.
    soul cycles titan 1x8
    fisher marlin 1x7 hybrid

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I broke the lowest rib on my left side (floating rib?)

running into a parked car going after a Frisbee! I was like you, didn't have insurance and decided to just wait it out. For six months I couldn't get up from a sitting position without mucho pain, I couldn't laugh (although my friends thought my condition was hilarious) and generally hurt. You just might develop the kind of pain I had (I eventually fully recovered) and have to rest it out of necessity but only time will tell. I believed at the time that there wasn't much to be done but wait it out and I was right, at least as far as my particular injury was concerned. But, boy did it hurt