now a SSchwinger
    Oct 2005

Fractured Patella

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with recovering from and riding after the recovery? The fracture is displaced, but not enough to require surgery to hold it together.

Thanks

ChiliPepper1
    Oh yeah, I have had my share of fractures to the patella. One from when I was DH racing and one from when I was in the fire department. Both have healed but still give me problems from time to time. In the long run, neither one stopped me from racing nor interfered with my job after healing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I fractured mine 10 years ago. After it healed, it would get achy before it snowed. Over the last 2 years, it's been hurting after rides. Guess i'm getting old.

mtbr member
    Did mine pretty bad in late July 07. Fell after coming off a drop, and caught a rock as I went down, forcing the femur through it from the inside. Took about 9 months to be able to walk correctly, and about 22 months before I didn't notice it day to day. The biggest problem was I had a lot of scaring on the underside of the kneecap that was constantly irritated until my femur "sanded" it smooth again. I also gained 40 lbs from lack of movement, and heavy beers. Still trying to get rid of that. Hopefully your case will be different.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yup, shattered mine in Nov. 06 and the surgeon save about 2/3rds of it. So now three years later it's not bad but does get sore from time to time and the strength is close to 95 percent what it used to be. Now when I ride technical trails I use knee protectors too avoid cracking the same one or the other one and being on crutches again for five weeks. For awhile after surgery it felt like I had tiny bone spurs under the healing kneecap but after a summer of riding I noticed the knee movement from pedalling wore them down and now there's no catching.

now a SSchwinger
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the responses fellas.
    Its been 3 months and I'm back to work in a few days... been to a couple of physio sessions and acupuncture treatment.

After reading your responses I feel a little lucky that my fracture wasn't as serious as any of yours... time will tell; I'm still gonna pick up a pair of those new 661 XC EVO pads though.

Members who have read this thread: 0