mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Fractured neck of femur - like an OLD LADY

Ridden some awesome races this year, including some real gnarly technical stuff which I am still not too good with, and lived to tell the tale. Did a cross-country marathon through FIELDS last weekend, went into a bend a little fast trying to overtake some guys on the inside, back tyre washed out on some mud I didn't see, narrowly missed taking out one of the guys and fell hard on my hip. Could feel I had done some damage, but still, was not happy to hear I had fractured the neck of my femur (a granny injury, by any measure). Cost me 3 screws (under spinal anaesthetic only, very weird experience) and 6 weeks before I can even lean on the leg never mind walk/ride on it. End of season for me.

Still, I am pleased with the season - three podiums, three screws, improved my riding massively. Just pushed it a bit too far.

By the way, I put the injury down to my SPDs - it's happened several times before to me (though not with such dramatic effects). When you wash out like that, you have NO time to unclip, and there is no impact to unclip you either, so you go down hard on one side with no chance to cushion the impact, leg still clipped in. Broken hip waiting to happen, in other words. Not sure how to change my riding in future to avoid that. Also, have to have the screws taken out before I risk that happening again. Falling again on a bone with 3 screws in would be very very messy... As would my wife's reaction.

[no pics, sorry, they didn't give me them ]
    SPD shoes, pedals, cleats and the experience of going clipless. (a work in progress - let me know if I missed something!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    sorry to hear, thats scary stuff and why i wear padded undershorts when I ride technical stuff (although an xc race i probably wouldnt). sounds like real bad luck.

dont be so quick to blame it on your equipment though, with practice you can get out of spds as fast as if there was nothing. its muscle memory, you dont have to think about it, it just happens.
    i save myself from a washout just about every ride. just keep practicing and dont push it too hard until it comes naturally.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hmm, maybe padded shorts would have helped - it's not the first time I have fallen on my side like that, should've thought about it.

I definitely did push it too hard, was feeling really strong and just got impatient with the two riders in front and rushed into overtaking. Certainly a hard way to learn...

The SPD thing, I dunno, the actual fall happened SO quickly, I just have this recollection of still being clipped in and just coming down hard with no way to stop me. That wouldn't really happen on an XC course, at least, the fall wouldn't be so hard probably, but this was at some speed, on a sort of farm track, that didn't seem at all dangerous, funny that...
    SPD shoes, pedals, cleats and the experience of going clipless. (a work in progress - let me know if I missed something!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just thought I'd update on this.

This is what I ended up with.

Name:  3-hip-screws-300x294.gif
Views: 213
Size:  37.9 KB

The surgery and rehab went really well, and I was back on a trainer in mid-winter (i.e. about 4 months after the fall) and in full training by spring. That is not to play down the seriousness of the injury - I was very fortunate the surgery was a great success, and after 2 years (well, nearly four now, but two years is like a tolerance period) there was no sign of the dreaded avascular necrosis which would mean a hip replacement (which is basically what happened to Floyd Landis).

At one point I was very nearly back to my original form, and even stronger in some ways (despite my surgeon's warnings not to put TOO much strain on the repair). My major limiting factor has actually been the arrival of another wee biker in my family, and also just the slight fear when riding of repeating the injury.

I had been hoping all along that the surgeon would remove the pins after the two years had passed, but those hopes were dashed last year - he said he wouldn't take them out unless there was a problem. So I am stuck with them, and I wouldn't want to think about what would happen if I fell on that side again...

Anyway, so all this is just for anyone who has had a similar injury - with some hard work and determination I made pretty much a full recovery.

Kathleen in AZ
    FYI - Even old ladies with hip replacements can still ride bikes! My first new hip was in Fall of 2010 and I was DHing at Whistler summer of 2011. Fast forward to my 2nd replacement in summer of 2014 and I am now 100% back to riding, hiking, doing whatever I want. New hips on this arthritic "old lady" have given me the freedom to do what I want again!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fractured neck of femur - like an OLD LADY-photo-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Very nice DurtGirl! I like how the zipper from your sweatshirt is in the scan too😄

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Fractured neck of femur - like an OLD LADY

What does that even mean? Are older ladies more prone to injury than older men? I apologize if you're an old lady. I have no idea what the connection was and was just wondering.

So happy for your full recovery ma'am and good job dirt gurl. Both of those x rays looks nasty!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

broken hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    What does that even mean? Are older ladies more prone to injury than older men? I apologize if you're an old lady. I have no idea what the connection was and was just wondering.

So happy for your full recovery ma'am and good job dirt gurl. Both of those x rays looks nasty!
    Yes.
    Hip injuries anyway. CDC - Older Adult Falls - Hip Fractures Among Older Adults - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    as if getting older ain't bad enough!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges