RideDirt

Fractured my right shoulder and need some help?

So i ate it pretty hard on a big tabletop i hit , was leaned to forward on the landing part , landed with the nose of the bike making me smash into the ground head and shoulder first . Pretty painful but feel a lot better now , i had Xrays and a Cat scan done at the hospital .

The hospital sent me to a ortho i need to go see but i dont have insurance so i asked the lady what it will cost me for my visit. She mentioned 250 bucks for initial visit and they can use the Xrays from the hospital. Should i go and have them tell me to stay in my sling for a few weeks and then come back for a checkup , and pay the 250 for no reason ?

Or should i just wait a few weeks , let them look at my original xrays, go for my initial visit , have them do xrays again and see how my progress is ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you have a lot of swelling and pain, it's probably worth checking out. If you're on here reporting like i've been then you're concerned and should probably go. I'd find someone that has a lot of experience. Somebody that can tell you an affordable way of dealing with it. Somebody that can tell you what you might lose in mobility, strength, etc if you do nothing and are passive about recovery. Ask if they can give you a cash unemployed/uninsured rate. Ask if surgery or action can occur at a later date if you ignore it and it gets worse. If you do need surgery find an oupatient surgical center versus the hospital. Contact all the people involved and work out the prices the best you can,,, and if they recommend surgery, get a second opinion. Sending healing vibes your way...

RideDirt
    Thanks man will do, all the swelling has come down and paint isnt that bad.. I think im going to hold off for a week or 2 and then go in... Ill see if a buddy of mine that is a chiropractor can help me out with some recommendations or such.

Warrior's Society
    WHat part of the shoulder???? Lots of parts to break in there.

Collarbone? yeah, a figure 8 brace for a couple a weeks.

Something else??? Might be more serious.

Broke the top part of my humerus(right at the rotator cuff last year. Waited a few days, there was no pain, but couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder. Ended up with plate and 8 screws to repair it. Had I let it heal itself, would have ended up with permanent limited range of motion.

Recommend ya get the Xrays taken.....too important of an area.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Trail Prospector
    Spent 3 hours in an outpatient clinic this evening to get X-rays of an ankle that I torqued last January. Without crash or warning, it again hurts like it did the first day. The films showed no fractures, so on Friday I visit an Orthopedic Surgeon for an MRI. Know it's going to be $$ yet, cannot live with this level of pain.

Agree to address all options now, find out the long-term impact, and costs. Limited mobility & pain suuck!
    Sending fast healing vibes your way..
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Brewer-Biker
    I just broke my Scapula on Sunday, I would suggest that you want to go see somebody just for the long term sake. A few hundred bucks to make sure all is well is not that bad. Negotiate a price if you have to. Just make sure. You have a lot of miles ahead of you.

It sucks too, b/c I was having a great year, riding the crap out of the new SC TB, putting good miles on the road.

CARP.
    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. -F Bastiat.

RideDirt
    Thanks guys, went and saw a good ortho .. She was really cool .. Im in a sling for 6 weeks and then begin my rehab after , but hopefully sooner.

Brewer-Biker
    I get more x-rays in two weeks to see how the healing is going. Hopefully there will be some exercises I can do to start loosening up my shoulder. My ribs and everything in there are still really sore, just started to be able to bend over.. Getting up out of bed is comical, as well as dressing my self after taking a dump. Getting my pants over my strawberry bandaged hip has got to be the stupidest looking thing ever.

It's good to know I'm not the only one.
    Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. -F Bastiat.

RideDirt
    Oh trust me i know how you feel .. My whole right side of my body is messed up , i still have some swelling by my hip and lower back and inner thight. Bruises and cuts lol .. Im learning how to do things with my left hand which sucks cuz i look super dumb lol .. I cant sleep good at all at night ..

I have a total of 3 fractures and it blows .. I feel your pain