kev
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fractured Eye Orbit - Blowout fracture!

Was riding a skinny... that, obviously, I should not have been... and went down, hitting my face on a rock. Oddly enough, the rock was covered with about 1/2" of moss so it sort of softened the initial blow. I can only image what getting hit by a professional boxer feels like, but I imagine that there is a split second of, 'oh, that isn't so bad' as the glove connects, and then a POW! as the true damage of the hit sinks in. That's what this felt like. No cuts or abrasions, though my lower eye lid blew up like a balloon, or a ball sack, according to one observer.

The surgery to repair entailed pulling out a thumbnail sized chunk of bone from the eye orbit that was floating around, and replacing it with a wafer of a coral-derived composite.

Onward and upward, as they say... Can't wait to get back on my bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fractured Eye Orbit - Blowout fracture!-left-eye-orbit-blowout-fracture.jpg  

Gumnut Peddler
    Wow that is a pretty nasty injury. So lucky you didn't hit directly with your eyes/nose bridge. Do you have an indication to healing times? Can't even imagine how painful that must be.

Hopefully the healing goes well and drama free.

kev
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well the surgery was Monday. I stopped the Vicodin yesterday, which was Thursday, and the doc says I can start working out again two weeks from the date of the surgery. Probably 4 weeks until I can ride trails and not have to worry about it. Good point about what could have been a really nasty injury if I had hit right in the center of my face.

The hardest part right now is that I am still seeing double when I look far up, down, side to side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Well the surgery was Monday. I stopped the Vicodin yesterday, which was Thursday, and the doc says I can start working out again two weeks from the date of the surgery. Probably 4 weeks until I can ride trails and not have to worry about it. Good point about what could have been a really nasty injury if I had hit right in the center of my face.

The hardest part right now is that I am still seeing double when I look far up, down, side to side.
    The double vision will go down when the swelling around your eye comes down. I also had a blow out of the orbital bone in July. I also had a zygotomaxillary complex. I broke my cheek bone in all three locations where it connects to your skull. My cheekbone was moved downward 2cm and rotated 3 degrees. I also broke my upper jaw in 3 places. I had a total of 8 fractures. My orbital blow out was fixed by reducing the bone back into place. The rest was fixed with 5 plates and 15 screws. Oh yeah, almost forgot I broke the 5th metacarpal on my left hand plus a concussion.

I recovered quick and as of today I think I'm faster on the bike than I was before. You'll do the same I'm sure....good luck.
    I like to ride bikes.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    That looks painful.. Heal up well!! Are you going to wear a full face helmet now? There are a few peeps with those MET Parachute helmets here and I am wondering about getting one too.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT