Thread: Fractured ankle

mtbr member

Fractured ankle

I managed to fracture my tibia and fibula in the middle of February.

I was riding at night on local single track and didn't have enough speed rolling into a gully to get through the other side. I stopped with my front wheel just shy of the top, put one foot down, expecting to the fall/roll back to the bottom of the gully about 7' below. It went pretty much as I expected except for the first part where I put my right foot down in what I knew to be a futile attempt to stabilise myself before the fall. I heard and felt 2 loud snaps and the next thing I know I was at the bottom of the gully. Thankfully the bike was fine.

The only way I could get out of the gully was to crawl, and even that took a while. My friend Jack was with me and, once at the top he called the ambulance. They weren't sure where we were and as we'd been riding on single track in the middle of an (admittedly not very large) pine forest we thought the best thing to do was to get to a fire road where the ambulance could drive to. The idea of waiting while they worked out how to carry me out of the forest wasn't appealing.

So I spent the next 45 minutes using the bike as crutch and hopping beside it. Luckily it was pretty flat ground. In a couple of spots the track wound away from the fire trail and we navigated more directly through the bush, with Jack clearing the undergrowth so I could get through. It was exhausting and I was mightily relieved when I reached the trail. I was lucky to have come across two other riders just as we neared the end and the rode to where we thought the ambulance would enter the forest (we were right) and they directed it to where I was. They also helped Jack with getting my bike to the trail head where my wife picked him up.

I ended up being operated on the next day and had a plate and three screws put into my ankle. I was in plaster for 6 weeks and then was allowed to put 50% of my weight on it for the next 2 weeks. For the last week and a half I have been allowed to put all my weight on it. After almost 10 weeks I can now walk short distances, although with a very pronounced limp. I am doing various exercises to extend my range of movement and find walking in a swimming pool very good. I think I'll try getting back on the bike next week.

Here are some after pictures.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

AKA Dr.Nob
    Cool
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club. Get used to the swelling but glad you're healing.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thats a sexy cankle you have going on there......

and remember chicks dig scars
    Brian <---- that would be me.

SHIFT_life

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Did the same in 2000. Still have issues with it, especially when the weather changes. Rehab the hell out of it, it will save you some issues down the road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Bimaleolar Fracture?

Did you suffer a bi-maleolar fracture? Do you know if it was an inversion (when twisting the bottom of your foot faces your other foot) or was it eversion (the bottom of your foot twisted outward) fracture? At this point in time you should ask your doctor to orders you to undergo a CT scan or x-ray so your doctor can determine whether there is a good union between the bones that he fixated with the plate and screws.

mtbr member
    It's been almost 3 months since the accident and I am now walking with a limp, but much better than crutches or the stick I tried for a while. It's also good that I can see progress each week. The latest x-rays indicate that the bones are fully healed, although I still have considerable swelling in my leg and foot and still wear a compression bandage during the day.

I went for my first ride last week and managed an hour on reasonably gentle tracks with a few hills. I was surprised at how tired I was afterwards, and how much water I drank throughout the night. But very good to get back on the bike. Now I have to start commuting again to get some fitness back. I'll then be able to start riding with friends again on a Sunday morning.

Once the cankle disappears I'll be able to show off the scars.

Tim
    Last edited by Wombat; 05-17-2008 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Man, I seriously hope I don't have to spend 3 months w/o riding. I don't think my injury was as severe as yours so hopefully I can get back to a 'somewhat' normal state fairly quickly. Even if I have to stick to road riding for a while, I still want to get back riding as quickly as possible. My ankle is still wrapped from surgery; plan on letting it breath a bit tomorrow (as per doc's orders, leaving it wrapped until then)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow...I was looking for some discussion on foot/ankle injuries...you have quite the break. What kind of PT did you start with when you were allowed to put weight on it?

I broke my calcaneus (heel) April 19 and the doc said no weight baring for 10 weeks! I am close and can't wait to loose the crutches. I can tell my leg is mush now. Keep posting on your recovery...

So far, I am doing some leg exercises from the floor and some ankle movement (alphabet), but nothing to get me ready to walk. I think my biggest issue is the swelling. Ice and elevation when I can, but still more swollen than I would think for this much time. You too?

Hang in there!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Don't need a CT scan

Although you broke both bones, it sounds like your ankle fracture was pretty standard. Xrays are generally plenty good since it sounds like you are progressing quite normally. A CT scan would only be useful if you were having problems or it wasn't clear on Xray after 3 months or more if the fracture healed. No need to expose yourself to the unnecessary radiation. Do lots of therapy (you can do it yourself) focused on balance and strenthening all the muscles of your lower leg. If they are still weak when you start riding you will be at higher risk to re-injure it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    do something with those toes eeew