mtbr member

Forgot to pay my Bookie

Yep, broken kneecap. Thank God it doesn't need surgery, but it happened two weeks ago and I'm off the bike for another 4 weeks. I am finally starting to be able to hobble around, but the first two weeks of this were looonnnggg. And the worst part of it is- did it at the top of a downhill trail I've done many times before. The trail basically hanges on top of a ridge for some trails type stuff in the first 200 yards then takes a hard right and weaves back and forth over a fallline for about a mile. Just after the turn there is a small roller (about 4 feet) followed in about 20 yards by a 4 footer into a banked turn behind a tree. Got going to fast into the four footer, came off it headed at the tree and tried to adjust to the right in the air. Another 2 feet to fall and I would have had it, but as it was I landed on the side of my tires and had to put the bike down. Didin't think it would be a big deal because I've done it before, but I happened to set my knee down into a rock. The speed I was going caused my kneepad to break, and my body to cartwheel in the air. I remember thinking as I was upside down, "Boy I'm glad I wore the fullface". Broke the visor off, but otherwise head was aok. It was only about 30 second before my g/f found ime curled up in a shaking ball on the side of the trail. Adrenaline had kicked in so I immeaditely remounted and took all the easiest lines out to the road, while I sent Spilly to get the car.

Damage-
    One broken kneecap
    One broken handlebar
    One broken lock on grip
    One messed up finger (not broken, but still swollen
    One broken kneepad
    One year insurance deductable fulfilled on x-rays and ortho visits

Back on in mid Sept
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Good thing you were wearing protection! Think how your knee would have been damaged without the pads...

mtbr member
    Well, got some bad news yesterday, right middle finger is broken. It's been bowed to the left since the acci, but psycologically I just didn't want to think about it. Now it looks like it might have to be rebroken. In better news, I'm walking pretty well now, almost no pain until the end of the day. Couple more weeks I'll be on the road, maybe just a little front brake heavy.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

on the path most traveled
    So sorry to hear that. Great story, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I broke my kneecap in a car accident a few years ago. The first thing the doctor told me at the hospital is "do you know why the mobsters always break a guys kneecaps when he doesn't pay up? Because he will NEVER forget that".

It's true. To this day I can't run right, if I stand for any length of time my knee starts to swell, and I can't kneel down on that knee.

To top it off, nursing my bad knee ruined my good knee.

Good luck with your recovery, hopefully you'll get through it alot better than I did.