mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Forearm pain curling the hand

Hi
    Few weeks ago I rode at a skatepark with my BMX bike. I rarely do that, so I am not BMX fit. On the next day I had some forearm/bicep pain which I attributed to sore muscled that aren't normally engaged when riding normal MTB with suspension.
    3 weeks passed since, and lately I noticed that I have pain in my right arm when I am curling my forearm all the way to the biceps and rotating the palm in a certain way.
    I get absolutely no pain when riding, but the pain seems to be alleviated after a ride, especially aggressive MTB rides..
    I booked an appointment with a doctor and I'm going to do some road cycling this week, hopefully it will go away by itself.
    Anyone know what this condition is called? Anyone had this happen to them?
    Ibis Ripley 2014
    Transition Covert 2013
    Cube LTD SL 29er 2012

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Is the pain in the middle of your arm near the bend of your elbow? Or in the bend?
    You could've aggravated the tendon that attaches the bicep. I have "strained" it before and it took a month or so before it was completely pain free. I really only noticed it when bending my arm such as you describe or lifting something in the same manner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah I think the pain in that area, I can't feel the exact spot as when I flex the forearm the pain kinda radiates between the middle of the forearm to the abit before the bend of the elbow.
    Perhaps I strained it after riding my BMX bike at the skate park (rigid, jumping off stuff.. put alot of strain on the forearms) for several times as I was sore in that area right after that.

Did you stop riding during that month? I am trying to understand if I need to lay off riding completely or if I can do some road cycling until I recover.
    Ibis Ripley 2014
    Transition Covert 2013
    Cube LTD SL 29er 2012

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It sounds exactly like what I had going on. Honestly the only times it hurt riding were pulling on the bars hard or popping the front end sometimes. And it didn't always hurt then just when it was in the "right" position.
    I just took it easy with the arm...tried to avoid lifting heavy things and would ice it if it bugged me...ibuprofen at first when it seemed to hurt more. Like I said it just eventually got better. I did also start stretching my arms during that time... a practice I try to maintain...What really feels good for it is to stand by a door way and grasp the doorway trim with your thumb up and arm straight out. Then lean gently forward holding the doorway...you should feel the stretch in your chest, your shoulder, and in your bicep. Be gentle though...if it hurts back off. You don't want to strain it further.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've seen the doc and was diagnosed with Tennis Elbow.
    I probably got it after practicing manuals/bunny hops on my BMX several days in a row despite feeling sore/fatigued (was pulling too hard with my hands).
    He suggested some NSAIDS and if that doesn't help a cortisone shot.
    I found a guide online on some PT exercises to do, I am going that route instead of taking pills.
    Hopefully it will go away by itself.
    Ibis Ripley 2014
    Transition Covert 2013
    Cube LTD SL 29er 2012

mtbr member
    Ice is your friend....
    Adirondack Mountains