mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Foot Injuries from Pedal Strikes

Has anyone here actually experienced a foot injury when crossing logs or rocks while clipped in? What were your symptoms, treatment, and recovery time?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So I went to the doctor today. After three x-rays and a physical examination, I have tendonitis between the third and fourth metatarsals. The doctor, a rider himself, said it had to be caused by my ride the night before. I may have caught my pedal on a log or two, but am really perplexed as to how this happened so I can prevent it from happening again. The treatment is four Aleve caps per day (2 morning, 2 evening with food) for ten days, and icing 3-4 times per day for only 5 minutes. This is so weird, and painful!

*B*
    mtbr member
    I am just coming off this injury. I have metatarsal neuroma in the same exact place 3&4. I did massive amounts of research, some days I couldn't even step on the injured foot. I am at 90% healed now with no pain walking or riding. Hears the deal... First get rid of any shoe that has a narrow toe, it compresses the injured area and exposes you for more damage, and it will ruin any healing progress. Get Dr. Shcolls metatarsal pads "runners pads" for all of your shoes, They are a small pad that fits in your shoe, place them right before/behind the ball of your foot. This will direct the pressure to the middle of your foot giving the injured area a break. This brand is a little thicker than the others, they break in without going flat. Next get "Yoga Toes sport", find them on the net, these work! They stretch your toes and straiten them, curved toes have allot to do with your problem and the stretch will be key in the rehab of your foot. Wear them as much as possible. Also if you place your foot on a sharp edge "like your fireplace" right where the heal and the middle of your foot meet with your toes turned up and press hard for at least a minute, this will release the tendon, it helps allot. I actually felt the injured spot moving forward over time as the muscle was releasing and relaxing. The last thing I did was extremely important, get your blender out and research Green smoothies, fruits mixed with kale, broccoli, ect. made a huge difference... I have two big glasses a day. The last thing to make sure you do is to have 1 to 2 tbsp of ground flax seed (grind your own) added to your shake every day, along with 1 tsp day and night of "Carlson Labs very finest liquid fish oil" you can get it at whole foods or organic markets, dont do the pills their not the same. The green shake is up to you but dont skip the flax and fish oil. I was in extreme pain and thought I may have to end up having surgery, these things have almost healed me completely.