Team Chilidog!

New question here. Flat feet/fallen arches?

Anyone here with flat feet/fallen arches? My arches are already low, and two weeks ago, I fell on a pump track when I foot planted at slow speed and it felt like someone had run over my foot.

X-rays negative, received crutches and a useless cast. Saw the podiatrist the next day: injured posterior tibial tendon (and pulled my posterior tibialis).'

The PT saw that my arches are low, and my left (injured side) is lower than the right. She had me try a Superfeet orthodic on the left side and immediately my limping was less. Now after two weeks and wearing OTC orthodics with strong arch support (Soles), I can at least somewhat function while recovering. And geez, this is the slowest and most painful recovery ev-ar (speaking from a broken wrist in three places AND ACL recon/mensicus cleanup), worse than the previous injuries.

I do see the podiatrist on Tuesday, and I'm going to ask for prescription orthodics.

But I can't be the only rider out there with flat feet, am I? I mean, the cycling industry releases orthodics / arch support, and they barely do anything for me. Matter of fact, I was wearing the Spesh arch supports when I hurt myself at the pump track.

I ride flats, and I won't go back to clipless after knee surgery, so anyone here have any reasonable suggestions or questions for me to ask the doc? Thanks, and I'm hoping to get back on the bike in a week or so. I'm getting depressed and frustrated.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Anyone here with flat feet/fallen arches? My arches are already low, and two weeks ago, I fell on a pump track when I foot planted at slow speed and it felt like someone had run over my foot.

X-rays negative, received crutches and a useless cast. Saw the podiatrist the next day: injured posterior tibial tendon (and pulled my posterior tibialis).'

The PT saw that my arches are low, and my left (injured side) is lower than the right. She had me try a Superfeet orthodic on the left side and immediately my limping was less. Now after two weeks and wearing OTC orthodics with strong arch support (Soles), I can at least somewhat function while recovering. And geez, this is the slowest and most painful recovery ev-ar (speaking from a broken wrist in three places AND ACL recon/mensicus cleanup), worse than the previous injuries.

I do see the podiatrist on Tuesday, and I'm going to ask for prescription orthodics.

But I can't be the only rider out there with flat feet, am I? I mean, the cycling industry releases orthodics / arch support, and they barely do anything for me. Matter of fact, I was wearing the Spesh arch supports when I hurt myself at the pump track.

I ride flats, and I won't go back to clipless after knee surgery, so anyone here have any reasonable suggestions or questions for me to ask the doc? Thanks, and I'm hoping to get back on the bike in a week or so. I'm getting depressed and frustrated.

I have somewhat flat feet as well and have tried orthotics but they only seem to cause other problems down the kinetic chain for me. I am going without them now and am working on strengthening my feet to naturally build back my arches. I'm barefoot as much as possible and am avoiding shoes with heels. Check out the Altra's. Seems counter productive but so does a crutch for your feet which are essentially what the orthotics are. Do a google search on it and see what you find. Also check out
    Natural Injury Treatment & Prevention Education | Sports Injury Prevention & Treatment

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Flat feet/fallen arches?

I have that injury. It sucks but get prescription orthotics and youll be good to go. Dr ritchie in seal beach helped me out but any prescription orthotic will help be sure its heavy enough to support your weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffslocal View Post
    I have that injury. It sucks but get prescription orthotics and youll be good to go. Dr ritchie in seal beach helped me out but any prescription orthotic will help be sure its heavy enough to support your weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Do you still get pain in the area?

Believe it or not, the doctor doesn't think it's bad enough to need prescription orthodics. It's getting better with physical therapy, but because I haven't done squats or anything quad-intensive for weeks, my quad has really lost some strength

I'm using Brooks Andreline, which have builtin arch support in the shoes for walking, and I'm running the Soles blue or black inserts in my 5.10s.

The doctor really thinks that strengthening the ankle and losing weight is going to be the best bet. However, that's not going to be very fast (I'm down 6 lbs in the past few weeks, got another 28 to go), and strengthening is going to take a while because that type of thing doesn't happen overnight.

I can finally go up on my toes, but I'm still struggling with the knee over the toe movement because of weakness in the quad, and I'm still working on range of motion in the ankle. There's a stiffness that developed while working on getting it to heal.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prop Dude View Post
    I have somewhat flat feet as well and have tried orthotics but they only seem to cause other problems down the kinetic chain for me. I am going without them now and am working on strengthening my feet to naturally build back my arches. I'm barefoot as much as possible and am avoiding shoes with heels. Check out the Altra's. Seems counter productive but so does a crutch for your feet which are essentially what the orthotics are. Do a google search on it and see what you find. Also check out
    Natural Injury Treatment & Prevention Education | Sports Injury Prevention & Treatment
    Yes, but right now, I need the extra support. I don't plan on wearing orthodics for the rest of my life (So I'm working on the weight loss and strengthening, but it won't be fixed overnight).

What are you doing to strengthen your arches? I'm currently working down the orthodics to less intensive, but it takes time to do and it's not going to happen overnight.

I checked out the link you posted, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to be looking for in it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Poor hip mobility, weak gluts, weak abs, and or pelvic tilt can cause flat feet. Do a google search with "flat feet weak gluts" and you'll find many articles. Or you could just have flat feet.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Have you tired the superfeet insoles? Ive used the green ones for a long time in both my riding and brooks ghost running-walking shoes.