mtbr member

first time over the bars = not so good

I went mountain biking solo on a trail i've ridden many times. i went over a large rock and veered too far left hooking my front tire on a rock sticking out. i went over the handle bars and thought i landed ok. kinda just turned to my right and managed to get one cleat un-clipped.

but i stood up and saw a white bloodied mess on the palm-side of the last knuckle of my left pinkie. i immediately thought compound fracture. so i gathered myself and finished my last 2 miles to the car. it stayed surprisingly numb from endorphins so all the bumps i felt didn't hurt too much, but it still felt like someone was constantly stepping on my pinkie, i guess the same kind pain as when you bend your finger backwards. i put a band-aide over the bloody part at the car and headed to the ER.

after about 2 hours i get x-rays and am given a room. the nurse guy says there is good news and bad news....good news is i didn't break anything, the bad news is i didn't break anything. turns out i dislocated my pinkie so much that it poked out of the skin. so he numbs it up, cleans the rocks and dirt out of it, pops it out of place and resets it. also the skin rip takes 4 stitches to close it all up. he puts a huge splint on it and wraps it up.

i am thinking this will put me out for about 8 weeks er so even though it is a pinkie, it is needed to ride. So i guess i can take up hiking for a few weeks.

funny thing is, my riding buddy came to ER and was waiting for me. He was reading a cycling magazine they had there and he found a picture of a biker going over the exact same rock i flipped over....the picture had the guy going the same direction and everything. totally wild coincidence. hehe.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Ouch!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey, at least you know "You are not alone...."
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    true, I have avoided this forum since i signed up for some reason, probably just trying to block the possibility of this kind of thing happening. but now I feel a part of it

Trying a little
    depends how much of a tough guy you are.
    no seriously, 8 weeks to full healing I can agree with, but you can probably go riding in a few weeks if your endorphins get you past the pain.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    got my stitches out tues. and actually went out this morning to test it out and did a rather large ride. I have a splint I am gonna be wearing for a few weeks, so I am only gripping the left handle bar with my pointer/middle finger and thumb. but yea, endorphins helped a ton

lucky for me though the orthopedist said I have no tendon or nerve damage, so I will heal up fine. It will just be sore for a few weeks while the dislocation and cut heal up. turns out to be a rather weak injury...luckily..although it looked nasty that first day.