mtbr member
    Aug 2006

first ride this summer!!

On may 20th I was opening my summer cottage and was knocked off a ladder from about 18 feet up. Luckily I landed on my feet and did no damage to my back or head, unlucky for me I shattered my Calcaneus(heal) into 6 pieces. After 2.5 weeks the swelling was down enough for the Dr to operate and repair my bone. Another 10 weeks after surgery of non weight bearing. Then 3 weeks to ween myself off crutches and for the swelling to be low enough to fit my biking shoes on. Unfortunately I do not have enough strength in my leg to mountain bike yet so it was the road bike that I took out but it was still a blast to be back on the bike and I have to get in some miles so I can rebuild my leg and mountain bike soon. Here are a couple pics of my summer...

cat scan may 20th

7 screws and a metal plate in my foot and lots of pain meds, and the best GF anyone could dream of, she did not leave my side for over 2 weeks after surgery.

How I spent my summer

Warning Gross!!

Yesterday!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pretty amazing, that first ride isn't it?

The wind in your face, the feeling of the bike under you...I was actually in tears my first ride back. What a feeling of liberation.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    it was incredible... I actually had tears in my eyes too, I was so excited to ride, tomarrow is my first distance ride, Im doing a metric century in CT. I finally got out on my mountain bike a few times, it is a little scary I am afraid to commit to anything but Im getting back to normal slowly I dropped off a small rock yesterday, I was scared but it was fun once I did it I turned around a did it again.