mtbr member

First concussion... crazy

So I was at Duthie Hill in Issaquah, WA this weekend and was really riding well. Made my way over to Big Tree, which is a trail I have yet to complete and give her a go everytime im there. Well this time, I got a little crossed up after the first 3 hits and ended up face planting pretty hard in the take off of the next jump.

All I heard was my helmets visor snapping into peices. I get up pretty much right away, in no real pain and vison okay, and take off my helmet and blood is dripping from my mouth. Spit a couple times, noticing dirt in my mouth, and clear out the blood. Luckily my helmet is a full face.

I grab my bike and hike over some logs and make my way back to the top of the trail. I get to a point where a couple trails meet up, a place I have been to 50 times and am very familiar with. But I could not for the life of me recognize any trail. I felt completely lost. There were couple people chatting nearby and I was looking and couldn't make sense of why I was lost. I saw a guy who I had only met once for like 10 mins from a LBS and new his name instantly, yet I had no clue as to what I was going to do that day or how to get back to my car. One of the guys standing close by offered to show me out.

I made it back to my car and it took a good 10 mins for me to remember exactly what I was doing after I was done riding, which I had plans to drive to my parents for easter.

Pretty trippy stuff. Made to my parents safely and didn't really get a headache until the next day. I scrapped my upper lip faily well and still have a scab that looks like a hitler stash, lol.

I checked out my helmet the next day, visor is toast, but the rest seems to be fine. The stryrofoam core wasn't cracked and neither was the plastic shell. Wondering if I should just get a new visor or get a new helmet. I just don't want to drop another 150 bones on a new lid if I don't have to.

Any reccomendations?

Cheesiest
    Glad to hear you sound OK. A CT scan is a good way to rule out bleeding in your skull. I've had my share of concussions and know what you are talking about with the disorientation. I whacked the back of my head trying to do a 360 while snowboarding. I couldn't figure out which way was down

I would definitely recommend taking it easy for a while. Unfortunately, doctors don't have good stem cell therapy for the brain
    Last edited by intheways; 04-03-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv