mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Is this a fatal injury to my '03 HP??

Well, my backup '03 HP has been seing some use lately. Today, I noticed a significant injury, which must have occured on my mid-dfay ride. The dent is located on the rear of the set tube, and was a consequence of the link support contacting the seat tube during compression. I looked carefully for cracks in the welds, but I have not been able to find any. My question(s) are:
    1. Given the current location/severity of this sent is the frame safe to ride?
    2. If this is a fatal injury, would one consider it to be a warranty issue. I am assuming that this is the same type of injury that caused the now infamous '03 frame cracking epidemic...

I have attached some images that may assist in diagnosis:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwstein
    Well, my backup '03 HP has been seing some use lately. Today, I noticed a significant injury, which must have occured on my mid-dfay ride. The dent is located on the rear of the set tube, and was a consequence of the link support contacting the seat tube during compression. I looked carefully for cracks in the welds, but I have not been able to find any. My question(s) are:
    1. Given the current location/severity of this sent is the frame safe to ride?
    2. If this is a fatal injury, would one consider it to be a warranty issue. I am assuming that this is the same type of injury that caused the now infamous '03 frame cracking epidemic...

I have attached some images that may assist in diagnosis:
    Did you put a different size shock on than stock? If not, it's def. a design flaw and should be warranties. Come on Dave!
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Looks like you still have the original 5" travel linkage installed.

IH made the now standard 4.5" / 3.75" linkage plates available to solve this problem, which, by the way, only affected a particular batch of frames (my '03 Hollowpoint plays quite well with the 5" linkages).

Be sure to email IH if you haven't already.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Looks like you still have the original 5" travel linkage installed.

IH made the now standard 4.5" / 3.75" linkage plates available to solve this problem, which, by the way, only affected a particular batch of frames (my '03 Hollowpoint plays quite well with the 5" linkages).

Be sure to email IH if you haven't already.
    Nate,

Thanks. You are correct, they are still the original linkages. It has been riden for 2 years with no problem until today. I will be sure to email CS. By the way, whom should I contact??

Thanks again,

Erich