Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    veinte nueve pulgadas
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtrain View Post
    plus saw the money shot where with my leg pushed up to my chest: no femur hitting the labrum!
    Sorry to bring up old stuff, but that makes me a little giddy right there. I have Xrays in hand that clearly show CAM. No official diagnosis yet.

Anyone have anything bad to say about surgery? Any reasons not to do it?

Looking fwd to being able to get knee to chest, inward rotate, and actually stretch my right glut.

-K29r

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

No diagnosis?

I just have to play devil's advocate and ask how you know the X rays clearly show CAM impingement if no diagnosis has been made yet? Maybe there is still a chance you don't have this problem.

As far as surgery my recovery is taking a while, but that's different for each patient. And recovery is better than letting the impingement continue to chew my hips ever worse.

veinte nueve pulgadas
    I have my X-rays. If I were to post a pic, you'd see it too. Bump out on the right femur head is clear as day. Fits with my lack on inward rotation. My doc is due to get back to me on Monday.

What I don't have is any chewing going on, as far as I know. I can run, and I can ride, without any significant issue. I have little inward rotation though, and I can't get the right leg to my chest without it flaring out. End result is that I have nearly no way to effectively stretch my right glut. I suspect that things are extremely tight on that side, and my back is sore...a lot. Probably a lot of compensation going on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you get the surgery to correct the impingement and gain ROM you might want to read the operation report. Mine told the story about the labral tears that were shaved or anchored, which weren't mentioned during my post-op visit. I'm definitely not symptom free but my doctpr did give me the approval to mountain bike again until my next hip gets done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm curious how everyone else's recovery from hip arthroscopy has progressed. I had my second hip done and now I'm looking forward to getting back on the trails in 2013 as much as possible. Does anyone have any recovery stories to share?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Greetings Dan, A-Rod, and fellow sufferers.

I am now 3.5 months postop on my left hip and 5 weeks postop on my right. 42 y.o. male, cam+pincer impingement, both labrums reattached and "some" arthritis found on both sides. My hips had been bugging me for about 2 years and I got the diagnosis at about the time hard, deep flexion riding became intolerable. I was (am?) a racer - XC, CX and road. Obviously can't speak to the long term outcome but at this point I am definitely glad I made the decision.

That said, this surgery, and especially the recovery, is no joke. I've had a knee scope and this is not even comparable. Left side, my hip flexor was essentially paralyzed for the first month and very painful. Right side flexor has been OK but I had some insanely painful adductor spasms the first week and now my lower back is super tight. I still don't have enough range on either side to stretch glut med or piriformis muscles which really need it.

Worst, especially with 2 back-to-back surgeries, is just the mental grind of months of dealing with the discomfort, the daily time-consuming exercises and not knowing what level I'll be able to return to. My whole life and identity for 25 years was as a cyclist then, suddenly, it isn't. The last 6 months of my life have not been fun and I have several more months to go.

Best is that I know I will be able to ride again, maybe even stronger than before. Spinning on the bike is actually THE most comfortable thing for me - better than lying in bed, sitting in a jacuzzi or getting a massage. I was on the trainer 9 days after each surgery, on the road at 3.5 weeks and even jumped in a cyclocross race 10 weeks after the first op.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah,I know CAM can be treated arthroscopically, not sure about Pincer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No Fly Zone, thanks, that's the kind of experience I was looking for. Based on my last post-op discussion it sounds like any regular running would be a very bad idea but cycling is ideal. I'm kind of debating the choice of whether I try to maintain some running proficiency to pass my military fitness tests, which will aggravate my existing cartilage damage, or not even try to run and let the Reserves either give me the timed walk or kick me out. I never ran for enjoyment, so as long as I can continue cycling for fitness and fun I'll be happy. My left side is 4 weeks post op and I have two more weeks of crutches. Right now my right side is 8 months post op and still quite sore so I'm hoping that more cycling (when I'm done with crutches) will reduce the soreness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great forum! I have been riding for 30+ yrs and in the last 6 months have developed the dreaded "groin pain" It's worse after long uphill rides and sitting in a desk chair. My ortho suspects FAI looking at xrays. There is the bump on the femur. I'll get a MRI soon. My question is what about a partial hip replacement? I'm 57 yrs old but not ready to stop intense riding and hiking. I have a friend who did the replacement and was riding 10 days later. Anybody have a partial instead of the scope?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Partial replacement

I haven't had any parts replaced but my orthopedist portrayed the hip scope as a method of keeping my natural parts as long as possible. I can always explore parts replacement later on if these two hip scopes don't prove successful.

My left hip, which was done 7 weeks ago and had much more damage than the right, is responding very well, but my right hip which was done 9 months ago still gives me a lot of trouble. Even if the doctor needs to do more work on my hips later on I'm still happy with the decision to try the hip scopes first.

L&A
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi all I am a 47 yr old female, former triathlete, runner, road cyclist, with my passion being endurance mtbing. Misdiagnosed 9 yrs ago with "sacroilliac dysfunction" and told to just live with the pain. Went on to race and try to be as functional as possible untill last winter could not stand the pain anymore. Had mri of back and pelvis when the torn labrum in left hip was found. Diagnosed with FAI in both hips with the left repaired in Nov.2012 and will have a labral reconstruction on the right as the labrum is to shredded to anchor back onto the acetabulum in June as I want to get as much recovery on my left hip as possible. At 3 mos post op I am back on the mtb doing short 15 to18 mile rides with elevation gain at 1500 to1800. Hip can only handle 2rides a week at this point along with pt exercises, short hikes, and pilates. Even though the surgeryand recovery is very hard and slow, up to a year before you are "as good as it gets", it sure is better than a THR! Most definitely recommend surgery as with the boney abnormalities, cam or pincher, there is no amount of pt of chiro treatment that is going to get rid of the impingement and magically rrepair the damaged labrum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    my recent MRI is showing a little damage w/ the labrum. My bike friendly ortho doc suggests. Cortisone shot (if you get 6 months + then stay with that) >>> next a scope to clean up the tears >>>> next a resurfacing replacement. For younger people the resurfacing isn't a great option. The question is always how long do we prolong the eventual replacement of the pain producing parts? If you wait too long then you destroy too much and have to do the total hip replacement. Dont live with pain! the artificial parts will make you pain free and still ride at a top level.

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the surgery. Was just diagnosed. It's been suggested that I modify my activities and do some physical therapy for a while first.

Here's my story - I'm 52. I was just diagnosed with Cam Impingement in my right hip and some damage to the articular cartilage. The radiologist called it a minor cortical irregularity involving the lateral aspect of the acetablular rim associated with thinning of the articular cartilage consitent with a grade IV Chonromalacia. No evidence of labral tear or detachment. No evidence of tendinosis, bursitus, muscle strain or hematoma.

I can see the cam lesion on the xray and I can see some damage to the cartilage on the MRI. But, the marcaine they injected into the joint didn't make it feel better - same time the contrast agent was put in for MRI. Also, my internal rotation doesn't seem to be near as bad as the external rotation of my hip.

I play or practice soccer 2 - 3 times a week and have spent hours and hours over the last 8 years kicking a ball at a wall for practice. In addition, I ride mtb, dirtbikes, occasionally do some snow skiing and water skiing. My hip started hurting playing soccer - felt like hip flexor pulls a few times. Noticed it started happening after a hard hip collision in a game, where my hip hurt. But, later times occurred while sprinting or kicking. I also pulled the hamstring several times on my right leg over the last 8 years.

About to do a round of physical therapy. Doesn't hurt too bad when not playing soccer. Mainly hurts when standing for a while. Sometimes hurts when getting out of bed.

Are there any long term recovery stories on here? 3-5 years or more? Just curious how the hip is doing now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi
    Try a cortisone shot first. I have the same thing as you and the shot is working. How long determines wether you need surgery or not. They can do a scope on that

mtbr member
    Anymore updates or success stories from those of you who had surgery?

I'm set to have surgery in March for a labral tear and possible FAI. I used to be an avid runner, but took up cycling in the past few years because it didn't hurt as much as running did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I can't provide a complete success story, but I can share an update. I've had both sides scoped, one side was too bad to repair so the surgeon shaved out the torn tissue and smoothed out the damaged cartilage. The other side, the right, was repaired with two dissolving OsteoRaptor anchors to hold the labrum back in place. This is the side still causing me problems 18 months after surgery. It hurts to sit for long periods of time, and on days like today gives me sharp pain that feels like the joint is cramping up.
    MRIs don't provide a lot of information when scanning a hip joint that has already been surgically modified, so the surgeon said surgery is really the only way to determine what is happening inside the joint. The diagnostic injections gave me relief for a few hours, which the surgeon said is enough of a positive finding to justify surgery. Unfortunately I now have other doctors debating whether my aorta has a lethal disease, or whether it is perfectly normal, so until they resolve that debate I am disqualified from further hip surgery.

I suspect a lot of people who have had successful FAI surgery don't post on these threads because it isn't foremost on their mind anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Anymore updates or success stories from those of you who had surgery?

I'm set to have surgery in March for a labral tear and possible FAI. I used to be an avid runner, but took up cycling in the past few years because it didn't hurt as much as running did.
    I had surgery 11/23/2012 and consider myself a great success. Surgeon Darby Webb in Boise. I had both pincer and cam lesions with a 2cm tear in my labrum. Both bone spurs were ground away. Three anchors were placed to reattach my labrum. While under traction they could see significant synovial condromytosis (cartage forming in my hip joint) which was removed.

I was off crutches 12/31/2012 and already working on the trainer. First outside ride in February. First road race in late March (Hammer at the Slammer 2013, race 3. Sprint Finish - YouTube) 3rd place for under 40 men 9-5 ultra marathon in June (95 miles, 12K vertial in 8 hours)

I wrecked in August in an XC race and broke my left side femoral neck and spent another 6 weeks on crutches. My repaired right hip got a bit achy on my longest days 2-3 weeks after injury while at burning man.

PM me if you have specific questions. This repair was a huge improvement for me.

FAI Femoro Acetabular Impingement-labrumanchors.jpgFAI Femoro Acetabular Impingement-labrumanchors2.jpgFAI Femoro Acetabular Impingement-synovialcondromytosis.jpgFAI Femoro Acetabular Impingement-hipx-rayfai-allied-highlighted.png
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    I had both treated by scope
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for all that info, AlliKat! Do you feel like you're limited in any way post surgery? I just fear being worse off than I am right now, because I'm not that bad right now. I can run a little, bike a lot, but I always have that mild aching pain in my groin if I am walking or running.

I bike commute to work spring - fall, and it's a 32 mile round trip with some hills. I know I will have to give that up this spring, but I would love to be able to do it a couple of times a week starting in the summer sometime. How quickly did you build your miles back up on the bike?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3