mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Epic crash: Broken neck, back, ribs

My epic July 1, 2012 crash:

Broken neck (C7), broken back (T3,T4), 2 broken ribs

Small/medium size drop off, with a downhill landing. Front wheel hit first, then proceeded to fly over the handlebars. I got twisted and couldnít brace my fall with my hands so I landed on my head and then rolled over onto my shoulder and back. When I hit, I could hear 2 cracks and I knew I was in trouble. Thankfully, I could move my arms and legs, so I was hoping there would be no permanent damage.

I consider that day to be the luckiest day of my life. It could have had an outcome that was very different. Fortunately, I didnít require surgery. I just need to wear a neck brace for about 6 weeks (4 down, 2 to go ).

Can't wait to get back on the bike, (with my wheels firmly planted on the ground)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow, hope your journey to recovery to be a speedy one.

What type of protective gear did you had on at the time of the crash? Would you consider some additional back protection like the POC waterpack or vest?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    6 weeks recovery seems small amount of time compared by the amount of damage you got.

Did you wear any back protection?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    All that and just a neck brace for six weeks? No offense to what you're hoping but you have a long recovery ahead. Take the long view. Your bike will still be around when you're really ready to ride again. Good luck.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks guys... I didn't have any back protection at the time, just the helmet.

I'm definately taking the long view. The docs oringinally said 6-12 weeks with the neck brace, but the last xray looked good so they put me in a soft collar for the last few weeks. I'm taking it easy for the rest of the season.

Fortunately, it was a stable fracture so the vertabrate was not broken out of alighment, just cracked I'm still counting my blessings.

Believe me, I'm taking things very slowly. I'm just happy that I've been able to get on the stationary bike the last couple weeks, which has felt great.

Went to the Red Sox game today with my son. Good times!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    you are very lucky!

I had a similar accident with similar results on a dirt bike. I was stuck in a collar for 3 months after surgery but I still ride.

just use pain as a guide ( if it feels uncomfortable then wait and get stronger.)

and the discomfort fades over time : )

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcKinney View Post
    you are very lucky!

I had a similar accident with similar results on a dirt bike. I was stuck in a collar for 3 months after surgery but I still ride.

just use pain as a guide ( if it feels uncomfortable then wait and get stronger.)

and the discomfort fades over time : )
    Thanks dude. Goad to hear you recoverd!! That's exactly what I'm doing. If it hurts, then I back off. Toughest thing today was those crappy seats at Fenway Park. Had to get up, stretch, and get a beer every now and then

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Beer does help loosen things up : )

official eMpTyBRain
    I feel for you. I recall going over a ledge last Fall and thinking to myself, "this is gonna be real bad".

Heal well and heal quick!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcKinney View Post
    Beer does help loosen things up : )
    It certainly does! I just can't believe they have Sam Octoberfest on tap! The summer beer is almost gone already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I feel for you. I recall going over a ledge last Fall and thinking to myself, "this is gonna be real bad".

Heal well and heal quick!
    Thanks so much. You are right, Probaby the scariest part was that couple seconds in the air and just after impact. You know that it is life changing, but just dont now how much yet. I'm so lucky I had my son with me at the time. He took great care of me!

mtbr member
    I too wish you a speedy recovery. It's also good no surgery was needed.

I'm into week 3 of bunch before I get back to riding on dirt. I crashed three weeks ago and landed on my face and had 6 facial fractures requiring 5 hours of surgery. I also broke the 5th metacarpal on my left hand. The hand feels pretty good, but I'm not going to mess with it.

Just hang in there and realize the longer you let your bones heal the better. However, makes sure you get some kind of activity like walking or anything.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    I too wish you a speedy recovery. It's also good no surgery was needed.

I'm into week 3 of bunch before I get back to riding on dirt. I crashed three weeks ago and landed on my face and had 6 facial fractures requiring 5 hours of surgery. I also broke the 5th metacarpal on my left hand. The hand feels pretty good, but I'm not going to mess with it.

Just hang in there and realize the longer you let your bones heal the better. However, makes sure you get some kind of activity like walking or anything.
    Thanks! Sorry to hear about your crash. Man, that sounds painful. I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly.

You're right about keeping active. I started back on the stationary bike a few weeks ago which feels pretty good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    WOW!! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha1347 View Post
    WOW!! Hope you have a speedy recovery!
    Thank you! I'm feeling pretty good. it's been 6 weeks now and I probably have a few more weeks with the neck brace. It's going to be good (but scary) to get back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Reading about those sorts of injuries makes me not want to get on the bike!

On a positive note, could have been much worse. All the best with the recovery mate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ouch! Hope its a speedy one!