Thread: Elbow Injury

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Elbow Injury

Went down the other day and messed up my elbow. Don't exactly know whats wrong as the x ray indicated that all of my bones are intact, but my elbow lacks stability, and if I try to put any sort of weight on it, it pops and locks up. The only thing I can think of is that I maybe partially dislocated it during the crash. I'm able to do most things (open doors, brush my teeth, etc.) but it feels really weak. The doctor wasn't much help. Anyone had any experience anything like this? The main thing I'm concerned about is the locking up, popping, giving out thing that it does if I put weight on it.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    A little late...

If you can afford an MRI, I am assuming the docs will have a better "view" of things.

Bryan
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    I fell a few months ago and my left elbow has not been the same. I have a ton of pain when lifting, pressure.... It also pops, and hurts like hell. After X-rays, I have a bone spur on the tip and tissue swelling around the joint. I have been taking medication to reduce the swelling, and it has started to get better. I have been riding with an elbow pad and compression sleeve.
    I feel your pain bro, good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    just injured mine this past sunday, you should probably allow it to recover longer incase you damaged anything besides bones. did you specifically visit an orthopedist? also you could also consider getting a 2nd opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So I'm three months out and my elbow has marginally healed. Positives: I have a somewhat better ROM as I can fully extend and retract it without pain, nor does it hurt if I'm not doing anything. The only exception to this being a burning sensation I get in my forearm and elbow randomly. Negatives:Tried to get in the pool by slide/sitting with my elbows bearing my body weight and that was a bad idea. Still feels unstable and I feel pain sometimes when doing simple things such as opening a door, lifting everyday objects or grasping stuff. Also rotating my elbow causes pain at certain points. Last I think there might be a small piece of cartilage in there as my elbow doesn't lock up per se, but feels kind of stuck at times (this doesn't happen very often and only last a second or so). Again all of this seems to happens randomly. Debating whether to dish out 640.00 for an MRI or spend money going to a physical therapist.