MarkyMark

Dumb incident with my fork's lock-out engaged

I'm going to chauk this one up to riding with my fork's lock-out when I shouldn't have. I normally don't use the lock-out, even when climbing, so riding with it is unfamiliar. If you've ever ridden from Long Ridge to Saratoga Gap, there's some short steep climbs and descents on dusty loose fire-roads right before the 'gap. Near the end of Long Ridge, I got pretty good speed for the descent before the last climb, started turning left (tight), and my front wheel washed out. I was able to save myself from going down by tri-podding on my extended left arm, left leg, and my bike. I got a rash on my left knee, but that isn't the bad part. Somehow, I think I hyper-extended my left leg while it was extended so I felt a painful strain in my left knee and left hip. I had to sit down for a moment for the pain to subside and then walked down and up the last climb to walk it off.

I was able to get back on my bike, but I skipped the 'gap and took the road back to the parking lot.

There was some hiker sitting on the bench located at the hill just before the 'gap. He probably got a good view of me going down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass
    There was some hiker sitting on the bench located at the hill just before the 'gap. He probably got a good view of me going down.
    I hate it when people that you dont no see you stack. Makes me think, that they think, i suck at riding

Double-metric mtb man
    Here's hoping that you heal up soon.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

MarkyMark
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    I hate it when people that you dont no see you stack. Makes me think, that they think, i suck at riding

Yeah, tell me about it. I check for witnesses before I dusting myself off whenever I eat it.

I know one guy who had a worse day than me, though. There was this guy pulling off his motorcycle leathers on Skyline while I was riding by. A car was parked and he had his wife or GF helping him. I was surprised when I saw his red Ducati 916 parked there while I was heading back. I hope he didn't leave it out there for very long.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMass
    Yeah, tell me about it. I check for witnesses before I dusting myself off whenever I eat it.

I know one guy who had a worse day than me, though. There was this guy pulling off his motorcycle leathers on Skyline while I was riding by. A car was parked and he had his wife or GF helping him. I was surprised when I saw his red Ducati 916 parked there while I was heading back. I hope he didn't leave it out there for very long.
    Ha! That's funny I saw that too. We were driving back up to 4 corners and by the time I got my car and started down the car and the driver were gone and the girlfriend was standing there with the Ducati by her self smoking a cig. I wanted to stop and chat her up a bit cause she was hot

mtbr member
    i bet that rash felt just wonderful when you showered afterwards