dirt diva

Bonking ... not feelin' well Driver stopped, saw me, ran over me (actually, under me)

So one week ago this morning, I'm in Tulsa, OK warming up for a MTB race. First race of the season on my favorite trail in the region. I did a few miles on the bike path and headed out to the street to take on the steepest hill in the area.. gonna get the legs all ready. Ten minutes to race start.

I'm heading back to get lined up, just a few yards from the start line. I see "him" .. he stops his car, no blinker but I get the idea he wants to turn onto the street I am approaching... I hit my brakes and I look directly into his driver side windshield .. can't make eye contact, it's too overcast and there is a glare. He is still stopped. I continue my path as though I were any other vehicle with right of way. Next thing I know, he pushes the gas and we're going for a crazy ride which will land me in the hospital with 122 stitches to my face.

Here's my blog:
    http://jrmints.com/blog/?p=1

Note. I did include photos taken in the ER. (gotta love my friends and their strong stomachs). These photos are not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. At one point, my skull was exposed. *urp*

Bottom line. I am going to be fine.. just going stir crazy for now.

dirt diva

Accident Scene Photos

Today I got my stitches removed. I'm having a lot of dizziness and the headaches are starting to be pretty intense... but overall, I feel pretty good.
    The doctor thinks I dislocated my shoulder and popped it back in during the accident. Check out the bruises on my left arm. Yuck. I can't use that arm very much yet.
    Today's progress: http://jrmints.com/blog/?p=16

The dad of one of the racers took photos at the scene. (The car, the driver, me all bleeding.. )
    You can see them here:
    http://jrmints.com/blog/?p=17

I have hired a lawyer. I explained that I don't want to bleed anyone dry, I just want my bills covered and my equipment replaced... The plastic surgeon doesn't want to see me for six months... so we'll need to estimate that in as well... assuming the insurance company wants to settle before then.

That's all for now I think.

Thanks again for all your well wishes!!!

Paula
    "If you find yourself going through Hell, Keep Going." - Winston Churchill

Paula's Accident Blog

Paula's Biking Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good wishes on the recovery!!! That looks like it had to hurt!

mtbr member
    wow that sucks for both you and your bike, that right there and many other examples found on this board and others are why i stick to the trails, hope you heal up quickly

mtbr member
    Yeah, no doubt. Riding on the roads freak me out. I definitely feel more comfortable around dirt and trees.

That's some scary stuff and I'm really glad your recovering well. Good Luck!

banned
    you're alive, you'll heal, and seem to have a great attitude towards getting better. Keep it up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I hope you start feeling better. I noticed you are from Wichita, so am I.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    [SIZE="3"]Wishing you a speedy recovery [/SIZE]

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    You really have to be glad for that helmet!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I just checked out those crash pics

and really got a shiver going through me! Many things...how you must have felt at impact and how your friends came immediately to your aid. The doof that hit you, what an azzhat! Then you're getting your stitches out and on your way to recovery.

Us riders going down on a trail on our own is one thing, doofus drivers running into us is quite another. Make sure your lawyer gets the job done!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Wow! The shots of you with your scalp flayed open are spectacular! I've done a lot of wound care at work, and I agree, that is a "good" one.

It looks like you're healing well.

Marcia

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Get better soon! And good luck w/the whole lawyer routine too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow. Hope you receive what you deserve.
    Get well soon.

dirt diva

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Swass
    I hope you start feeling better. I noticed you are from Wichita, so am I.
    Hi Swass... do I know you? Do you know about the Kansas Singletrack Society? Email me if you want to know more pstout3@cox.net or you can check out our site www.kssingletrack.com

Paula

Paula's Accident Blog

Paula's Biking Site

dirt diva
    Heya. Thank you everyone for your well wishes and advice. I'm still healing up.. it's going really well. My back pain is almost completely gone and the scar is weaving itself together. I have the dizziness still, but I think we found a possible cure for it. Evidently, when you get hit really hard in the head, it can knock some calcium crystals loose in your inner ear and those things float around and cause problems. There are non surgical ways to get them to quit doing that... so I'm hoping we take care of that soon.

I just posted an update to how the scar looks today. Take a peek.. I touched it up with some makeup for the first time.

http://jrmints.com/blog/?p=10

Thanks again!
    Paula

Paula's Accident Blog

Paula's Biking Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Congratulations on your recovery

Quote Originally Posted by bbyparit
    Heya. Thank you everyone for your well wishes and advice. I'm still healing up.. it's going really well. My back pain is almost completely gone and the scar is weaving itself together. I have the dizziness still, but I think we found a possible cure for it. Evidently, when you get hit really hard in the head, it can knock some calcium crystals loose in your inner ear and those things float around and cause problems. There are non surgical ways to get them to quit doing that... so I'm hoping we take care of that soon.

I just posted an update to how the scar looks today. Take a peek.. I touched it up with some makeup for the first time.

http://jrmints.com/blog/?p=10

Thanks again!
    Paula
    About that dizziness. I'm no ear expert but I do get bouts of Benign Positional Vertigo. It's been described to me as maybe my body has manufactured excess calcium crystals in there or maybe whatever...point being, your body's balance system is a pretty finely tuned system and anything out of the ordinary in there is going to mess up the signals going to the brain. With my BPV I take Meclizine if it's really hitting me bigtime (room truly spinning, maybe you know what I'm talking about) I might take one pill but the idea is to let your brain get used to the new set of signals being sent (without just drugging your head too much) so it again knows which end is up.

I try not to look up/look down too much again and again (I picture sloshing those crystals around too much). It all started about 15 years ago, only has happened really bad three times, but I'm always aware of it in the background. Just get used to occasionally visually seeing yourself falling over without actually feeling it. I liken those mini-episodes to being at a stoplight and you think your foot is on the brake but your car is slowly moving forward and you see that you're moving out of the corner of your eye but you didn't feel it.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Paula, apologies... I just stumbled on this thread and went right for the gore.

The smile on your face in photo #12 is priceless! Uh, given the circumstances...

I'll catch up on the rest later. Meanwhile, keep getting well!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    i keep bowling balls in my messenger bag to throw thru the car windshields of people like this.

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Paula, apologies... I just stumbled on this thread and went right for the gore.

The smile on your face in photo #12 is priceless! Uh, given the circumstances...

I'll catch up on the rest later. Meanwhile, keep getting well!
    That is a great moment. I remember singing "Always look on the bright side of life" when I broke my arm while on the way to the E.R.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"