mtbr member

Down for the year

Out on the new Yeti, over a few whoop-de-dos and Command Post just let go and dropped. As the saddle dropped, my knee hit the bar, twisted it 90 and the front end just stopped, launching me off the bike and into a 270 flip landing flat on my back.
    Result: fx clavicle, 11 fx ribs (four commuted) and a punctured lung resulting in a hemo and pneumothorax.

Four days later, still in hospital with an epidural, IV Dilauded and Flexeral.

Gonna be a long recovery!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

mtbr member
    Keep your chin up brother. You'll be surprised how remaining motivated can speed up your recovery. Four years ago I wrecked on a dirt bike during a harescramble and was down for 8 months. I won a new metal shoulder out of the deal and (huge silver lining) got involved with mountain biking. Keep motivated and time will go quicker than you think. A funny story, I was talking with a patient (local farmer) a couple years after I had recovered and he asked me "Doc, are you still riding those dirt bikes?" I told him no that I gave them up and was riding mountain bikes. He looked down and shook his head and said "well you can get hurt just as bad on those, and you know what the worst part about it is? You'll just wreck tired." Truer words... Get well soon.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member

Down for the year

11 broken ribs. That sounds like a solid crash.

Were you riding by yourself at the time or were there other people around to help get you to hospital?

If you landed that hard on your back is your back and its nerves ok with full movement and sensation?

Good luck with the recovery.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    eeeshhh, that hurts. Good Luck, keep positive!

mtbr member
    Yep, 11 ribs - seven in the back (four commuted) four fx in the front, all 11 on the rt side. Lung is healing as are ribs. But, seven days and....still in the hospital!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    May I ask how fast you think you might have been going?
    I went, I think, about 25-26mph, right onto my stem or handlebar, otb , bounced off my head and landed on my back. It is funny how during the wreck while bouncing off my head, I thought "this aint good". I laid there, enjoying the sky tree view, scared to move. Lucky for me I could.
    What was going thru your mind? I mean holly cow the seat just caved? Guess I wont be getting one of those for sure. I will just get off bike lower seat and move on. I am not fast anyway!
    Stay positive, and don't laugh...

mtbr member
    Garmin saya 16mph. Speed is not always a big factor. Eight days later and I am still in the hospital, just today downgraded to "Stable Condition".

OMG!
    Damnnn. That's a crazy list of injuries. Heal up soon bro ++++vibes

mtbr member
    Well, 12 days later and I revisit this moment...lying here, awaiting my airlift out, and as the medics are working on me, little did I know...fx. clavicle, 11 fx. ribs, punctured lung, hemo and pneumothorax!!!! With all the pain and upcoming rehab, it's REALLY great to have the friends I have!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Down for the year-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaouch.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I feel I could be in same spot. Similar we are, looking at your posts before this wreck, you were so pumped to get the bike, the dropper and get railing.
    Hope today is good day for you.

mtbr member
    Riding with two others!!! Landed shoulder first, ribs just compressed and broke!!! four in my back are flail section, pulmonary contusion, punc. lung, hemo and pneumothorax, clavicle fx. Chest is still numb (nerves?). Gonna be a long process!!

mtbr member
    Decided I needed a bike to target my rehab on. So, picked up a Surly Pug Ops for a soft and cushy ride!!!